Easy DIY Planked Table Top Over Existing Table!

$250

We have had this antique table in my family for many years, but it just wasn’t large enough for our large Sunday dinners. I asked my hubby if he thought he could enlarge it a bit for me. He and my son-in-law figured it out and in less than 8 eight hours they did it!

Step 1- Measure to decide the size of your tabletop

Our table originally measured 8 feet by 45 inches and I wanted it to be 9 feet by 48 inches. Mike and Kevin figured out they could achieve this by using 9- 8 foot premium pine planks going across and two more planks cut to the width of the table to cap the ends. This allowed me have both the length and width that I wanted.

Step 2- Using the Kreg Jig pocket drill

They used a kreg jig pocket drill that allowed them to drill holes at perfect angles to tie all the boards together perfectly. This is a must have tool to create a planked table top. Once the top was finished they flipped it over and screwed the entire piece to the existing top.

Step 3-

My hubby used Minwax Wood finish color- Provincial 211 and used a rag to apply it. Apply it going along with the grain. It only needed one coat and we love the color! We realized after he stained it that the wood is soft and we should have used a wood hardener product. Since the Farmhouse decor can have that roughed up look, that is what we are going for as the table will show dents and scratches.

Step 4- The Finished Look

We could not be happier with how this table has turned out! There is just something so cool about saving this old table just by adding a new planked top!. Adding the stain brought a warmth to the room.

After we finished the table I decided to recover my chair seat covers. If you want to see how my dining room looked before we painted the walls white and re-did the table you can see it  here. It is amazing how different this room looked when it was blue!

Use Your Old Corks For These 25 Clever Ideas
Do You Want to Update Your Antique Furniture?
15 Unconventional Ways To Use A Tomato Cage
These Bathroom Makeovers Might Inspire You To Update Your Own
18 Stunning Backsplash Ideas You Do Not Want To Miss!
These Stunning Seating Ideas Will Blow You Away
31 Space-Saving Storage Ideas That'll Keep Your Home Organized
Cuddling Up At Home With A Bottle Of Wine? Then Try These Projects!
Keep Your Craft Supplies Organized With These Fun Storage Ideas
3 Creative Eye Catching Rug Projects That No One Else Has!
3 Brilliant Ideas How to Use Photo Frames
17 Benches You Can Build This Summer
30 Amazing Ways To Organize Your Shoes
Karins Kottage

• Melinda Record

Your table transformation is beautiful and pulls the whole dining area together with a warm and welcoming farmhouse vibe. Exceptional work!

Thank you for sharing and inspiring

• Dpbeee2

It look great!