Asked on Sep 1, 2020

How do we remove mold above stove exhuast fan??

KmdreamerJeremy HoffpauirHolly Bertone | Pink Fortitude
+10

Answered

My daughter is in the Navy stationed in Okinawa. We are not sure what to do to get rid of mold in the exhuast fan above her stove. At first cleaning it seem to work but now it's back even worse & needs to be cleaned every other day. Can we boil something in a pot that would kill the growth? Essential oil? Spray someway up ducting vent? High heat? Cold air?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! It's become difficult to cook.


Thank you & God Bless,

Brenda & Amanda


11 answers
  • Flipturn
    on Sep 1, 2020



    Are you sure that the fan is functioning properly and that it is not clogged or blocked anywhere? Where do the vents lead to- outside wall, roof?


    If there is an outside flapper, is it opening and closing freely?

  • Redcatcec
    on Sep 1, 2020

    It must be very humid where your daughter is stationed, an island. Since the mold is in the fan, I would suggest replacing it.To kill the mold use just plain white vinegar, would not spray into the electrical part for obvious reasons. You could spray it up the duct vent, but depending on how long the duct is you may not be able to kill it all.Best to you.

  • Betsy
    on Sep 2, 2020

    Hi Brenda: Give this a try: Try wiping it with 50/50 mix of vinegar and water with a few drops of Dawn on a regular basis. If that doesn't work, it's possible that there is something wrong with your hood installation. The moisture that the hood is drawing out is getting stuck there and kitchen bacteria is causing the mold. If she can get additional ventilation in her kitchen, that should help. Even a dishwasher sink, and any cooking devices can create warmth or moisture for mold to thrive. Good luck to her.

    • Betsy
      on Sep 4, 2020

      I hope she's o.k. As for the wind, that's not a problem. The vent is going outside and, like blowing across the top of an empty bottle, you will get some noise. Sort of like a Jug Band :) Let us know that she's o.k. and how she gets on with her problem.

  • Kathy Gunter Law
    on Sep 2, 2020

    White cleaning vinegar will kill the mold spores but may not remove staining. Hydrogen peroxide or other bleaching agent will help with that. Boiling will make the problem worse. After you get it clean, try "wet & forget outdoor" or "shower" to inhibit growth. Run a fan to circulate air as much as possible when cooking, maybe a small tabletop fan to boost the power.

    Thank your daughter for her service.

  • Deb K
    on Sep 2, 2020

    Hi Brenda, this video shows how to clean and degrease the range hood filter, use vinegar full strength on it once you clean everything up, wipe it on with a sponges and do not rise it until about an hour has passed


    for the filter

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2FltIbCaDk


    For the fan part and the housing, use vinegar once you get it cleaned up

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-39-mh7Alw

  • William
    on Sep 2, 2020

    Bleach will clean any surface mold. Vinegar will kill mold spores. Do not mix the two. The fumes can be harmful.

  • Johnavallance82
    on Sep 2, 2020

    Hello,

    Sounds as if it is condensation! Air getting hot and no where to go. Install an extractor in a window or wall, or leave lots of cheap damp collectors around . They will fill with water and you can put them down the , or half fill bowls with table salt and that will suck up the moisture.......Best wishes.

  • Hi Brenda -

    There are several ways to get rid of mold, but most importantly, you need to address the root cause to keep it from returning. This article focuses on the bathroom, but is an overall great article that covers methods of how to remove mold, if bleach is safe to use, and how to prevent it from coming back.

    Blessings to your daughter and thank you for your service! We're an Army family!

    Hope this helps! Hugs, Holly

    https://pinkfortitude.com/mold-in-the-shower/

    PS - We have a FREE eBook with recipes for all of my homemade and all-natural cleaners. You can download it here --> https://pinkfortitude.com/thank#GreenClean

  • Jeremy Hoffpauir
    on Sep 2, 2020

    First, get rid of the source causing the mold. You should install an exhaust fan such as this one: https://amzn.to/2YVzugn


    Hope this Helps! Jeremy - https://do-daddy.com

  • Kmdreamer
    on Sep 2, 2020

    Is the mold on sheet rock or plastic if it’s on Sheetrock you need to clean very well with bleach then spray kills paint all over were the mold is coming in that will stop the mold if it co es back I would remove the hood to se what’s going on

Your comment...