Asked on Sep 2, 2020

How can I clean a leather welding jacket ?

Drew WicksUnique Creations By AnitaDee
+12

We have a leather welding jacket that was left in a basement and now it smells moldy. Is there anything that I could use on it and how should I store it?

• Chloe Crabtree

Take it to a professional to have it cleaned. If it is not something you want to wear on a regular basis, the cleaner should be able to seal it to preserve it for you. If it was not cleaned after the wedding, you should have it cleaned to remove all body oil and other debris.

• Eileen

It’s a welding jacket not wedding jacket, there used so the person wearing it doesn’t get burned. Thank you anyway.

• Em

Mrs Laundry: 6 Ways To Clean Moldy Leather Jacket

blog.mrslaundry.com.sg/2015/11/6-ways-to-clean-moldy-leather-jacket.html

• Be sure it's dry and use a damp cloth to wipe off the mold. Let it dry and then use a leather cleaner/soap to clean the jacket. I use saddle soap.

• K. Rupp

Yeah I would take it to the professional cleaners. If you don't want to spend any money on it, you could get a suede leather cleaner and then have it air dry outside. Spray odoban in the inside. But I would seriously consider having it professionally done because of the mold.

• FrugalFamilyTimes.com

I think this is one for the pros - but you could start by hanging it out on dry and sunny days - that can really help with musty smells.

• Kathy Gunter Law

Go to an automotive store and purchase a leather kit there. They are the best I have used for leather. It will probably take multiple cleanings to remove the smell. Once you have it clean, then apply a preserver.

• Eileen

Thank you everyone. We have had the jacket out in the sun shine for two days and it has help the smell. Next we’ll Focus on the actual cleaning of the jacket .

• Flipturn

From the picture you posted, the jacket appears to me to be more of a suede, rather than leather..... ?

• Janice

Here's an article about cleaning leather.....it mentions the use of an alcohol and water mixture sprayed onto the leather. I hope the article helps you!

https://www.wikihow.life/Clean-Mold-from-Leather#:~:text=Apply%20rubbing%20alcohol%20with%20water,alcohol%20mixture%20onto%20the%20fabric.

I used a 50/50 mix of vinegar and water with some essential oils to clean leather jackets. First i brush the jacket down. Then spray the mixture on the jacket. Use a cloth or sponge to brush it in. Put it out in the sun to dry and help the odor. Vinegar kills mold spores.

• Dee

Academy sells a suede and leather cleaner. But I would try airing it out in the sun for a few days. It will cost a fortune to get it professionally cleaned and being a welding jacket it does not have to be perfectly cleaned.

• Unique Creations By Anita

I would hand wash it and hang it up to dry. Being a welding jacket looking pretty is not a requirement.

• Drew Wicks

Okay, a major concern with welding leathers is flammability. You don't want to use a mink oil or any of the typical leather treatments on a jacket that is going to be exposed to sparks and flame. I wash my jacket with cold water, on the "hand wash" cycle with a few squirts of a moisturizing body wash. I, then, air dry it before putting it in the dryer on "no heat" with some tennis shoes or something blunt to help work the leather and make it flexible and soft again.