How to Make Shutters That Stand Out!

$500

Shutters can completely change the curb appeal of your house. They can also be done quickly and on a budget🤠

Get measurements

First, I measured all the windows getting shutters. I measured the full height and about half of the window depending on the situation.

Rip to width

For most of the shutters, I needed 4 pieces that were 4”🙈 That required ripping that out of a 1x6 since a 1x4 is really only 3 1/2”.

Spacers

I cut a paint stir stick for uniform spacers.

Bracing

I measure the final width with the spacers in and cut the brace pieces. I found middle and attached that with glue and nails. For the top and bottom pieces, I decided on a 3” space.

Clavos marking

We are adding decorative clavos on these and using them to help cover screw heads.

Countersink drilling

We predrilled the clavos holes so they would be easy to see after staining and drilled the countersink spots for the screws.

Aging the shutters

With a few tools, I added some rusticification😂 Probably not a word, yet.

Stain party!

I mixed a few colors to get our desired color and got to staining. My least favorite part.

Water Sealing

I bought a small weed sprayer tank to apply Thompson’s water seal. The stain had dried for 24 hours. I sprayed both sides and used a brush to get the hard to reach spots. After a few hours, I wiped off the excess with shop towels.

Hammer Time

Now for the finishing touch. 1” clavos. I didn’t know they were called clavos until this project 🤷🏻‍♂️😝

Hammer drill and screw

After pre drilling our spots with a hammer drill, we put the tapcons into the mortar.

Plugging

I had plugs stained and ready so we could plug after screwing then tap in a clavier right over top of that. You can see the offset hole to the right.

Buddy System

It’s important to have two ladders and a helper for this. One can hold the shutter and the other can drill. You’ve also noticed the house changed colors!!! This is a project I’m working on with my designer friends at Harpeth Design Group and they just happened to have it white when we showed up with shutters. Looks so good together!!!

Dang. 🤯😍

The transformation is crazy!!! Easy way to add value and the look so good.

25 Christmas Wreath Ideas You Don't Want To Miss This Year
3 Simple Green Ways To Clean In Your Home
Old License Plates Lying Around? Check Out These 28 Snazzy Decor Ideas
20 Easy Projects To Help You Get Ready For Easter
23 Surprising Uses for Curtain Rings
The Wonderful Things You Can Make With...Paper!
Quick Easter Egg Ideas That Are Just Too Cute
30 Fabulous Wreath Ideas That Will Make Your Neighbors Smile
15 Amazing Things You Can Do With Paint Stirrers
Check Out These 30 Incredible Floor Transformations Ideas
Keep Your Craft Supplies Organized With These Fun Storage Ideas
15 Clever Repurposing Ideas That Will Add Some Creativity to Your Home
Spring Cleaning Tricks for the Kitchen
16 Fun Ways You Can Use Food To Decorate Your Home

To see more: //www.instagram.com/sawdustandwhiskey

• Linda

A small touch, a HUGE improvement to a home that I didn't really think needed improvement. Who knew??

Nice job.

• Jannie

When I was a caretaker for a beautiful lady and friend, My husband made a nice set with 2×6 cedar. Then put a nice finish on them.