DIY Hide a TV

$50

Most of us have it and so many times we wish it would not be in our photos…a TV! There was something exciting that happened last week at my home and before it happened I wanted to make sure that piece was hidden. I will be the first to say that I love having my tv but, it is not picture friendly.

Step 1: Measure the width, height, and depth of your TV

• For example my TV was 36W X 22H X 5 1/2 D
  • Now my sign is way larger than my TV, which is totally fine. The covering piece just needs to be at least 2 inches larger than your TV.

Step 2: Cut your boards

1. Depending on the size of your TV will determine what boards you will use. I do suggest using at least 1X4′ boards
  2. Cut your boards to build your frame to the size of your covering piece
    (4) boards cut to 2ft(2) boards cut to 8ft

Step 3: Next you will lay out your frame on the ground or table and begin to assemble it.

• Take (1) of the 2ft boards and put it perpendicular to (1) of the 8ft boards. Once you have them flush together you will take 2 wood screws and screw the boards together.
  • Once those two boards are connected you will then take (1) of the 2ft boards you have left and screw it together at the other end of the first 8ft board.
  • Now take your last 8ft board and connect it to the rest of the frame.

Step 4: Add a support board

Since my sign was so large, I cut two more 2ft boards to use a braces inside of the frame so it would not bend in.

Step 6: Stain wood and add hinges

Stain your wood with your choice of wood stain color. Wait about an hour for the stain to dry. Once the stain is dry, you will then add your hinges.

Attach one side of your door hinge to your built frame

Once these are attached take your cover piece and attach the other door hinge to the top of this piece. This will then create a way to open the covering piece.

Step 7: Add your Open Support

Finally the last step is to open the covering piece to the full upright position and measure the distance between the sign and the frame. This is where you will put your dowel rod to hold the sign up.

• Once you have the measurement you will cut the dowel rod to that length.
  • You will then make a pocket hole for the dowel rod to go in.

Step 8: Cut and Angel Dowel Rod

• At one end of the dowel rod you will want to make an angel. This will be the part that holds up you sign.

Step 9: Add the Stop wood

• Add a small piece of wood onto the back of the sign to be a stop for the dowel rod. ( I used a nail gun to attach this)

Final Look

Now you have a beautiful view to photo but, still have a functional way to watch your TV on a daily basis.

3 Gorgeous Decor Projects In The Oh-So-Chic Geometric Style
25 Adorable Ornament Ideas to Get You SUPER Excited for Christmas
13 DIY Projects That Scream Canada
The Best Industrial Style DIY Ideas For Your Home Using Pipes
Turn A Cake Pan Into A Shelf + More Clever Repurposing Ideas!
Do You Want to Update Your Antique Furniture?
Live Life In Color With These Amazing Ideas For Your Home
30 Useful Ways To Reuse Plastic Bottles
12 Container Garden Ideas to Kick Off Spring
Easy DIY Ideas To Add Some FUN To Your Office Space
3 Easy Ways To Upgrade Your Pillows To A High End Look
15 Ways to Spice up Your Floors
Jessica Russell Itty Bitty Farmhouse

• Michelle

I love, love, love the way that looks! I don’t see any cords for the TV; that’s something else I’d like to hide, but I don’t have the skills to wire behind the walls... how did you conceal the wires?

• Susan Litt

There are some simple options available now that don't require a whole lot of skills! :) If you search for in-wall cable management systems, you should be able to find something that fits your needs, budget, and comfort level. We just did ours and it was much easier than I expected. No more cords!

• Nancy

Inspiring idea! Another feature that could be added is storage shelves for DVDs or gaming related items on either side of the TV. You could make shelves that are recessed into the walls between the studs allowing them to be deeper.

• Flipturn

This is a clever attractive solution for a space that is used for many purposes at different times of the year, such as guest bedroom, office, grandchildrens' TV room, etc.