Updated Bathroom Vanity Using Concrete!

$30

I love the look of concrete countertops, but they can be expensive, messy and a lot of work! Instead, try this easy DIY concrete countertop using a concrete overlay - and its cost effective!

For this project you will need to following items

1. Henry's feather finish concrete overlay
  2. Bucket to mix cement
  3. Fine grit sandpaper
  4. Large sponge
  5. Plaster tools
  6. Concrete sealer

To begin, make sure your surfaces have been lightly sanded and washed and dried thoroughly. The sanding is important, especially for the sink to allow the concrete to adhere to the ceramic.

Be sure to tape off all areas (faucet, walls, edges).

Mix the concrete with water until it's about the same consistency to pancake batter. Once this is mixed, apply your first layer of concrete directly onto the counter and sink. You will not get full coverage on this first layer, don't get nervous! You will be applying a minimum of 3 layers, this first one if just a skim coating to get you started.

Once you apply the concrete, use your plaster spatula to get a smooth surface. Scrap off any excess concrete back into your bowl. Let this first layer sit for 30-60 minutes before applying the next.

As you apply the second coat, you may not still get full coverage, again...this is ok! Using your spatula smooth the surface. Then take your sponge and use that to get the surface smoother - you can moisten the sponge slightly if you find that you are removing the concrete.

You will build up this surface until you have full coverage, waiting 30-60 minutes between each layer. I typically do 4 thin layers of concrete.

Be sure your coats are applied thin and using the sponge to smooth in between coats.

Once the concrete is completely dry, it will lighten in color and be rough to the touch. Take your fine grit sandpaper and lightly sand the entire surface to get any small bumps and rough surfaces out. Take a damp cloth and wipe the entire counter down to remove the dust.

Lastly, you will use a concrete sealer to seal your counters and protect them from water. Using the directions on the bottle, apply several thin coats of your sealer until you have complete coverage. Again, I use about 3-4 coats - going extra heavy around the drain where water tends to pool.

Once your counters are completely dry they are ready for use! I prefer to leave my concrete a little more "rustic" and not perfect, I like to see the depth of the layers etc. They can be wiped with normal cleaners etc.

20 Ways To Make Your Own Personalized Clock
3 Gorgeous & Easy Projects to Help You Decorate for Fall
15 Fun Things You Can Make Using Your Cricut
These West Elm Knockoffs Are Pretty Unbelievable
22 Homemade Soaps You Can Give As Gifts All Year Round
31 Space-Saving Storage Ideas That'll Keep Your Home Organized
15 Kitchen DIY Ideas That Will Come In Handy
These Clever Ideas Will Help You With Spring Cleaning
Grab Some Pool Noodles And Copy These 3 Ideas
18 Beautiful Crafts For The 4th of July
30 Jaw-Dropping Decorating Techniques You've Never Seen Before
31 Creative Ways To Fill Empty Wall Space
15 Cute Ways To Decorate Tin Cans Into Planters
18 Wintery Wreath Ideas That You'll Want To Make For Your Home
Instantly Upgrade Your Living Space With These Amazing DIY Ideas

• Helen

I'm glad you all like it, I prefer the original look.

• Christine

I like it, but I would have left the sink alone.