Update Your Tile Shower Surround Without Removing It!

$75

You can paint your ugly shower tile with amazing results. With just a few supplies, you can easily paint a shower tile surround in your bathroom, or just about any tile surface!

Today, friends, you get to see one of the projects from my Modern Coastal Bathroom makeover!

And, we are going to look at what used to be the ugliest thing in My Wee Abode.

The tile shower surround… (please excuse the images, as I’m still learning to take photos in my wee bathroom).

Ugly BEFORE tannish tile!

Now, I’m not sure why anyone would choose this color for a tile shower surround in a tiny loft apartment… I don’t care what year it is!

But look at it now!

AMAZING AFTER painted tile surround!

The whole project took a total of 2 days with cleaning/prepping, letting the primer dry overnight, and then allowing the enamel paint to dry in between coats... but, it was SO easy!

Let's see just HOW easy!

Painting a tile shower surround (this is the area that frames my shower... it's not inside the shower) costs less than $75 for EVERYTHING.

Prepping products!

Materials include TSP for cleaning, premium primer (don't skip this step), my favorite go-to paintbrushes, a 4-inch synthetic paint roller, and my favorite semi-gloss enamel paint (that you can have custom tinted)!

Clean and Tape Off

Remember to clean the surface of the tile with TSP or a similar product (follow the box directions) first. If your tile is glossy you may, also, want to sand with 400-grit sandpaper and wipe clean with a damp cloth.

Then tape off the areas you want to protect.

Prime Grout and Tile

Use a round-brush to paint the grout lines, and then a 4-inch smooth synthetic roller to paint the tile surface.

Don't Skip Priming at Least Two Coats

This is after one coat of premium primer. I think one more coat will do the trick, don't you?

Use Great Brushes for Amazing Results

The round-brush makes painting the grout easy and fun!

Paint with Semi-Gloss Enamel Paint

It took two coats of primer and about 3-4 coats of enamel paint to achieve this finish!

Such a super easy project, and the results of a painted shower tile surround are amazing, don't you think?

Is a painted tile shower or tub surround in your future?

For a detailed list of materials and a full tutorial, visit My Wee Abode.

25 Decor Ideas That Will Add Some Spring to Your Home
Cut Up Some Pallets For These 20 Amazing Ideas
4 Chemical-Free Ways To Clean In Your Home
23 Surprising Uses for Curtain Rings
15 Fun Things You Can Make Using Your Cricut
25 Impressive Ways You Can Update Your Ikea Purchases!
31 Space-Saving Storage Ideas That'll Keep Your Home Organized
15 Amazing Craft Projects That You Can Do Under 15 Minutes
30 Useful Ways To Reuse Plastic Bottles
15 Ways to Spice up Your Floors
Julie from My Wee Abode

• Adrienne

What did you do to the tile inside the shower?

• Stephanie

Hi. I love the white but is it rough to touch or smooth like tile? And how do you clean it? Thanks!

• Julie from My Wee Abode

It is very smooth... exactly, like the tile that was underneath. Just wipe it with warm water and a mild detergent if needed. (Sorry for the late answer... I haven't been getting notices)

• KB

Looks interesting but why did you only show a couple of inches of your finished project? Just want to see more...

• Johanne Palange

Goes a long way towards making the space fresher, brighter, modern looking. I'm not a fan of white on white (on white, etc.), but since the shower itself is (looks) white, it makes sense for this space. Well done.

• Julie from My Wee Abode

Yes, definitely understand your thoughts on the white/white, Johanne... but in this tiny space, it def made sense. And yes, the shower liner is white. :-) I'll be adding color accents to the wall! Stay tuned... there will be more on the blog!

• Anne

Love it!