Musty smell?

+10

Anyone know of a way to get rid of a musty smell in my house? I've tried all kind's of sprays, even Odo- Ban. I've tried burning candle's, also. I have a walk in closet & it smells musty also. But like I said, it seem's to be through out the house. HELP !!! Any idea's. I am so embarrassed. Anyone ever try Damp- Rid? Does it really work? Thanks for any help all..........

• The best thing to do is find the source. Do you have a damp basement? You may need a dehumidifier to reduce the moisture. Also, if mold/mildew is present in the basement, treating it with vinegar will help to kill it.

• I have recently had the same issue. My showered leaked without us noticing and my carpets went damp and moulding. I tried all the methods and nothing worked apart from pulling out the carpets and bleaching the concrete. You need to find the source of the damp and fix that first.

• Vimarhonor Vimarhonor on Sep 04, 2020

Hello. Finding the source of the situation causing the problem might be key.

In our case at a prior residence with a basement —- it was necessary to get a dehumidifier to correct the situation.

Sadly covering the problem could be a bad choice and could potentially cause medical problems down the line.

• FrugalFamilyTimes.com FrugalFamilyTimes.com on Sep 04, 2020

We've been there! Here's how we solved that problem: https://www.frugalfamilytimes.com/2019/04/how-to-get-rid-of-musty-smell.html

• Kathy Gunter Law Kathy Gunter Law on Sep 04, 2020

The hanging DampRid with "clean scent" is my favorite. I have one closet that is like that and it has fixed the issue. At my MIL's I had to purchase a dehumidifier because although the DampRid bags worked, I was replacing 3 at least monthly if not more often.

• Nan W. Nan W. on Sep 04, 2020

Damp Rid works very well. ...However, finding the source of the smell would be even better!!

• Oliva Oliva on Sep 04, 2020

Hi, Madeline,

Damp Rid will absorb odors, as will pans of charcoal, but you may have a water infiltration of which you're unaware.

Have you tried running an exhaust fan or dehumidifier constantly, set to 40% humidity? Are your gutters clogged? Are your downspouts discharging water at least 10' away from your home's foundation? Does your ground slope away from your home? Are properties near yours at a higher elevation (thereby dispersing water onto your property)? Do you have any water marks on your walls? Is there paneling hiding something? Are appliances leaking water?

Do you notice wet marks in your attic or basement? Are interiors of cabinets damp? Does your soil absorb water, or do you experience flooding when it rains? Are all entry points well sealed? Any holes near your foundation/ attic/roofline, where animals/rodents can enter?

You may find that you need to (a)waterproof your basement walls, (b) install a French drain system inside or outside of your home,(c) replace gutters (and have the slope checked, for accuracy) or install larger gutters and downspouts, (d) repair or replace roofing and underlayment, (f) have your property regraded.

• Unfortunately, it's true, you'll need to track down the source otherwise it will continue to get worse and nothing will cover over the scent.

• Cheryl A Cheryl A on Sep 04, 2020

you could have mold or mildew in the walls so you need to find out where the smell is coming from first ~ apparently there has been a water leak of some sort in the past

here is some info

https://www.thespectrum.com/story/life/features/mesquite/2014/08/21/dampness-causes-closet-odor/14418509/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANijZ1J1_qY

• Mogie Mogie on Sep 04, 2020

Eliminate the source of moisture and dampness.

Place Damp Rid products throughout the space.

Clean everything with either white vinegar or Odo-Ban.

Newspaper, activated charcoal, and baking soda are also good at eliminating odor. However, Odo-Ban is my go to because I love the clean scent and it also disinfects.

• Lindsay Aratari Lindsay Aratari on Sep 29, 2020

I would use a diffuser with essential oils.

• The only thing we've ever found that really works is the dehumidifier. We actually have two running in the basement at certain times of the year. It does a great job.