Desk Makeover

$75

How we turned this desk into a beauty just in time for school.

Original

The before is always a bit sad. Scratches, water rings, dings and a bit of grime but our client found this desk for a great price with the intention of having us refinish it for her just in time for the virtual learning schoolyear to start for one of her children.

Sometimes I wonder if we know how dirty our used furniture really is! Oh well it is all part of the process, so Krud Kutter to the rescue! After spraying the Krud Kutter and scrubbing a bit then rinsing it started to look a lot better but we had some areas that would still need wood filler before we could get started on priming.

Filling Hardware Holes

We decided to use Plastic Wood to fill the hardware holes since the new cup pulls spacing was a little wider. Once the filler was dry, we sanded it off and continued to sand the piece until the scratches, water marks and other cosmetic issues were gone.

Sand + Vacuum

After sanding but before priming we always use a tack cloth to remove the dust, and we gave it a quick vacuum as well.

Paint

We primed with Shellac Based Bin and after drying, used our favorite sprayer, the Fuji Semi Pro in this fun color called Patina Green by General Finishes. It is actually a tinted poly, so when you have sprayed all of your coats it is already sealed! I get all of my General Finishes products from my local retailer and they can color match any color from any brand and turn it into a custom tinted poly. How cool is that! So after spraying our first coat we lightly sanded with 1000 grit paper, using a tack cloth to remove the dust, then sprayed two more coats using the same method. For our last coat it was super smooth and we didn't need to sand it at all.

The After

Here is the final look after changing out the hardware. Our client now has a practical and fun new desk for her child to start school in style 🙂

15 Fun Things You Can Make Using Your Cricut
Does Your Staircase Need an Update?
Check Out These 30 Incredible Floor Transformations Ideas
30 Different Ways to DIY an Adorable Snowman This Winter
30 Great Ideas For Every Pet Owner!
The Best Nautical Home Decor Ideas To Try Right Now

To see more: //instagram.com/aminidesignashburn

• Liz
    Liz

How did you get the paint off your driveway from the spray? Thanks for telling us about tinted poly.

• Amini Design Ashburn
      Amini Design Ashburn

🤣 The paint is still there, we get it repaved every 2 years in the fall and this year is the 2nd year, so it will be made pretty again next month

• Dl.5660408
    Dl.5660408

Beautifully done ❤️

• Bek
    Bek

Stopped me for just a second until I realized that you removed that inner shelf to paint it. I'd have been struggling and saying bad words. AND...I'll remember that!

It looks wonderful!