DIY: Trailing Rose Garden Planter

$70

So if y’all remember from my DIY String Light Refresh post, then you know we bought a camper this summer! We’ve been really enjoying fixing it up and making it more of our style, even though it was pretty much move in ready. The outdoor lot to it was already landscaped beautifully as well, but there were just a few things we wanted to add to it, like this DIY: Trailing Rose Garden Planter! Keep on reading below to see just how simple and easy it is to add this cute DIY to your garden or patio space as well.

1. Drill Holes in Planter

The first thing to do in this easy trailing rose garden planter DIY is to drill holes in the bottom of your bucket or tin- or basically whatever you are using as a planter. Just be sure there are enough drainage holes in the bottom to let all the water out when you water your roses!

Here you can see the holes drilled.

2. Fill Up Planter With Potting Soil

After you drill enough holes in the bottom of your planter, you can now fill it up with potting soil. You will definitely need a lot of it if you have a big tin like I did. We went through two huge bags and it was barely enough! I would recommend using a high quality brand of potting soil that is best for roses. Roses can be a little tricky to grow so it’s better to spend a little more money on better quality products to help them thrive.

3. Planting The Roses

We filled up the tin about halfway full with potting soil and then placed the rose bush inside to plant it. After we got the rose bush in, we filled the rest of it up with the remaining potting soil. Now, our rose bush already came with a plant trellis so we didn’t have to add that in, but if yours doesn’t come with one, I would recommend getting one so the roses can trail upward when they grow.

We also have a large plant trellis in the outside of our camper too (which you can see in the picture above). So we placed the tin filled with roses right in front of it. That way when the roses start to trail even higher, they have another trellis to latch onto! I am hoping it will really take off and grow tall here to give us a little more privacy in between our lot and the other camper’s lot beside us. It looked like the previous owners had planted something there already too, but whatever it was had died and there was a big empty space there that we needed to fill.

13 DIY Projects That Scream Canada
3 Gorgeous Ideas to Use Photo Frames - and Not for Pictures!
25 Ways You Can Be an Artist - With No Experience Necessary!
3 Absolutely Adorable Ways To Display Your Plants
30 Address Signs That'll Make Your Neighbors Stop in Admiration
16 Stunning Sign Ideas You Can Make for Your Home
15 Simple Projects Under 30 Min To Get You Ready For The Spring Season
Hide Your Couch's Wear and Tear With These Great Ideas
Jazz Up Your Bathroom With These 30 Stylish Additions
Do You Want to Make Over a Room in Your Home & Add Gorgeous Built-Ins?
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
Charity

• Bobbie robertson

Love this, but how did you attach the trellis?

• Corinn

Where did u get the trellis? Thanks

• Charity

Yes, our trellis was already attached to the rose bush we bought too. We got it at Lowe's.

• Cheryl

Since the rose is planted above ground what do you do with it during the winter? Do you have to bring it inside?

• Charity

I've actually been reading about that here recently. I read that you can insulate the container that it is in (as long as it's not glass) with black plastic and burlap to keep it warm and leave it outdoors. Just be sure to still water them because they tend to dry out more during the winter. And it helps that it is in a really big container too. So I think that I will try that out this winter. I haven't tried it before so we will see how it goes!