DIY Thrifted Kitchen Island

$50

Even though our home is on the older side, it has a good-sized kitchen. The layout isn't terrible but the one problem I've always had with this room is its lack of counter space. And while we do have a small peninsula that offers a decent amount of empty work space, it just isn't enough, especially when you're trying to cook or bake more than one thing at a time.

At some point, we want to remove the peninsula in order to make room for a large island, but we're still a few years out from being able to make that happen. Because of this, I decided to come up with a temporary solution for my counter space problem.

I found this small antique table on Facebook Marketplace and was able to snag it for $30. It had certainly seen better days, but I knew the bones were good and that it just needed a solid cleaning to get it looking the way I wanted.

Enter the best cleaning product for tough dirt and grime: Krud Kutter. This stuff works miracles! And the best part about it is that you don't have to exhaust yourself with excessive scrubbing to see amazing results.

One round of Krud Kutter made my Marketplace find look like a completely different table. I knew it would do the trick, but looking at photos before and after the cleanup still surprised me. I couldn't believe just how much of a difference this product made.

Once the table was as clean as it was going to get, I moved on to adding my locking casters to the legs.

Tip: Because I was going for a farmhouse look, I didn't bother painting the table. But if you want to create a piece like this for your home and this look has just a bit too much dinge to it, feel free to sand, stain, and/or paint your table any way you like.

I got the casters off of Amazon. What I love about them is that they rotate 360° and can be locked into place. This makes moving the table extremely easy and gives me the freedom to change the positioning of the island whenever I want.

After screwing in all four casters, my "new" kitchen island was complete!

Oh, and another great thing about the table I chose for this project is that it has two wings, which are completely functional and can easily be propped up with sliders that are located on the underside of the island. So, if I want, I can make this piece even bigger than it already is.

I absolutely love how this island turned out. It's the perfect temporary solution to my counter space problem, and I've already noticed the difference it makes while working in the kitchen. I also adore its chippy appearance and the splash of farmhouse charm it adds to the room.

• Small antique table  (Marketplace)
  • Krud Kutter  (Home Depot)
  • Locking casters  (Amazon)

16 Floating Shelves That Will Stun Guests
31 Ways For You To Style Your Garden
3 Cute Step-by-Step Ideas For Unique Planters
10 Popular Cabinet Makeovers That Will Transform Your Kitchen
Spring Cleaning Tricks for the Kitchen
The Wonderful Things You Can Make With...Paper!
These 21 Bloggers Came Up With The Most Amazing Organization Ideas
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
Katie Sara Creates

• Carol

I will share once I decide on the cabinet or table. Your table idea is amazing!!! :)

• Cornellis Sue

I have this table w/2 chairs , got it fr. 90 yr olds daughter after her mother passed . The old lady started housekeeping with it at a young age. I’ve had it now 14 years . I have planned to remove all old paint & refinish in white . I know it will be beautiful!