Decorate a Wire Pumpkin Using a Simple Macrame Knot

$6

Create a beautifully designed wire pumpkin from the dollar store using a simple macrame spiral knot. It's one of the prettiest knots and oh so simple to make! The knot is repeatedly tied around the wire pumpkin to create an amazing look for the Fall season.

But before we get started with actually tying the spiral knots, you need to figure how much cording you will need for each inside curved wire. 

You don't want to run out of cord before you finish. Unfortunately, deciding how much you need is not an exact science. Lots of variables are involved. Like the size and thickness of the cord and what you want to make. 

There are many videos on how to determine how much you will need. Some involving math and estimations. I will go with what I call guesstimating. Ha! I liked one  tutorial that said to use 4-6 times the length of the project, or area in my case, and then double that amount. Whew! I think this was the worst part. So I measured the length of one of the inside curved wires and got a little over 14" so I rounded it off to 15 inches. Then multiplied that by 5 (between 4-6 right!) and got 75". I doubled that (75) to 150 inches for what I needed. So I got out my yard stick (36" long) and measured the cord for each wire curve 4 times (36"x4=144") - the length of the yard stick four times plus 6 inches to equal 150 inches. 

Thankfully, I am using a roll of natural cord I got from Hobby Lobby. It had 135 feet of cord. There was more than enough to cover the entire wire pumpkin with spiral knots, including wrapping the stem with a back and forth design.

How to Make the Spiral Knot

The inside curved wires will be covered first and then the outside wire frame will be tied last with what's left. Normally, three cords are used, but in this case, the wire is used as the center cord with a left side cord and a right side cord. And the knot is always tied in the same direction creating the spiral look. 

Let's start by attaching the cord (150") to the pumpkin wire by folding it in half and placing the middle of the folded cord at the back of the first inside curved wire. Then tie the cord in a simple knot around the wire and push it all the way up to the top.

Next, pick up the left cord and make an "L" shape across the wire and under the right cord.

Then take the right cord under the wire and over the left cord (L shape) and out.

Pull the right and left cords with the wire in the center to complete the first half knot.

Repeat tying this knot over and over making sure you are always tying the half knot in the same direction to create the spiral design. 

Relax and binge-watch a movie while tying the spiral knots like I did.

I discovered that if you twist the spiral knots, a somewhat new look will emerge with the spirals closer together for a chunky design. And I like that look for the pumpkin!

Continue tying the spiral knots along each curved wire . . .

until all the curved wires are covered. Tie the ends of the cord for each wire into a final single knot at the back, sealing with fabric glue and let dry. Cut off excess cord.

Then start tying the outer frame just below the stem where it dips, the same as before with a folded cord . . .moving around towards the left, then down and around . . .

and up and over. When reaching the stem, wrap the stem tip vertically and then the sides horizontally, tying in a single knot in back. Add glue to the knot to seal - let dry and cut off excess cord . . .

for a cool decorative look!

Don't you just love how this look! Either plain or with embellishments!

30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
15 Ways to Spice up Your Floors
Here's How You Can DIY The Hottest Home Decor Trends of 2018
13 Bird Feeders From Upcycled Items
These Clever Decor Ideas Are So Perfect For Summer
These Clever Ideas Will Help You With Spring Cleaning
15 Unique Father's Day Crafts
15 Unconventional Ways To Use A Tomato Cage
3 Great Ideas To Easily Upgrade Your Window
Use Your Old Corks For These 25 Clever Ideas
Do You Want to Make Over a Room in Your Home & Add Gorgeous Built-Ins?
15 Awesome Projects To Get You Ready For St. Patrick's Day
How To: Make Hot Glue Placemats + More Crafts Ideas!
Gail@Purple Hues and Me