DIY Bookshelf Peg Rack

$20

Hey friends! Our due date is fast approaching, so we worked on getting the nursery finished up over the last couple weekends. I knew I wanted some kind of shelf with hooks above the dresser, so I came up with a bookshelf peg rack and I’m so happy with how it turned out! Here’s how I did it -

For the top of the shelf, I used a 1x4 and cut it to 60”, which is the same length as our dresser. Then for the back of the shelf, I used a 1x6 and cut it to 3.5” shorter at 56.5”.

To support the 1x4 on top of the 1x6, I cut two small pieces of my 1x4 scraps to 6” long.

& here’s how those cuts looked together.

I decided the support pieces were kind of boring though, so I measured an inch from the top and side and drew a line across each piece to help me visualize it before I made my cut.

I used my miter saw to make the cut and just clamped my board to my table so I didn’t have to get my fingers that close to the blade. To see more home projects, check out my Instagram.

So much better!

To hold the books in place on top of the shelf, I used a 1x2 cut to 60” as well. I also cut two small pieces of 1x2 to 3.5” for the ends of the top of the shelf (pictured below).

I used 1.25” brad nails in my nail gun and wood glue to assemble the whole thing together, then I stained it Minwax Special Walnut to match the rest of our nursery furniture.

For the pegs (we decided on 8 total), my husband drilled 1/2” holes spaced 6.25” apart in the center of the back of our shelf. To make it easy, he cut a 1x6 to 6.25” as a guide and then drilled a hole in the center, so he knew exactly where to drill each time.

To attach the shelf to the wall, I used my stud finder and some masking tape to mark each stud and then used 2.5” gold screws through the front of the shelf into each stud.

😍😍😍 Be sure to follow me on Instagram to see the rest of the nursery!

25 Fun Things You'll Want to DIY Before the Spring Arrives
25 Impressive Ways You Can Update Your Ikea Purchases!
3 Super Cool Marbelizing Techniques Everyone's Trying!
30 Fabulous Wreath Ideas That Will Make Your Neighbors Smile
Get The Outdoor Space You've Always Dreamed Of With These DIY Ideas
30 Great Mason Jar Ideas You Have To Try
Beautify Your Home With These Flower Ideas
26 Adorable Ornament Ideas to Get You REALLY Excited for Christmas
Inspirational Ideas for Spring Flowers

To see more: http://www.instagram.com/craftingupcuteness