Wood Slice Pumpkins

$3

I live on a very wooded lot and we have to cut down more trees every year because either they are aging or leaning towards our house and cars. So of course I have lots of opportunities to have wood slices cut up for craft projects.

Preparing to use natural wood slices

Since my husband cuts these wood slices for me, I have to cure them and dry out the sap before I can actually use them in craft projects.

If you have never tried this it is very simple.

Heat in oven at 200 degrees

Preheat your over to 200 degrees.

Line several cookie sheets with wax paper and lay out the wood slices in a single layer.

Set the timer for 30 minutes and bake the wood slices in the oven.

Once the timer goes off, flip over each wood slice and bake the other side for another 30 minutes.

Allow to cool before trying to use them. Once they are cooled down, you can then sand the centers of the wood slices for a smooth finish if desired.

Fall wood slice pumpkins

To make the wood slices in to rustic pumpkins, you just have to paint the center of the slices in an orange paint. I used a Harvest Orange color from Apple Barrel acrylic paints.

Add the decorative details

Using a hot glue gun, I attached twine, burlap, faux fall leaves, and raffia ribbon to add decorative Fall details to each wood slice pumpkin to make them each unique.

I also used small sections of barbed floral wire to make the stems of the pumpkins, attached also with hot glue.

Display the pumpkins

The wood slices I used for this project are cut too thin to actually stand up on their own but you can very easily cut thicker slices to get the pumpkins to stand.

These would also be adorable on a wreath.

Hometalk's Top 10 Spookiest Halloween Picks Of 2017
Here's How You Can DIY The Hottest Home Decor Trends of 2018
15 DIY Projects That Will Make You Say "WOW!"
25 Adorable Ornament Ideas to Get You SUPER Excited for Christmas
Copy One Of These Lovely Lattice Ideas For Your Home
30 Fabulous Wreath Ideas That Will Make Your Neighbors Smile
31 Brilliant Ways To Repurpose Everyday Items Into Perfect Organizers
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
3 Cute Step-by-Step Ideas For Unique Planters
30 Gorgeous Ways To Keep Your Home Organized
22 Ideas To Make Your Terracotta Pots Look Oh-So-Pretty
29 Ways To Get A Splash Of Blue In Your House
Donna Powell

• December Medland

200 degrees Fahrenheit or Celsius please?

• Donna Powell

Fahrenheit. Sorry I didn't even think about that. Thanks for catching it for me.

• Rachel's Trash~2~Treasures

Does the wax paper melt to the wood? Think I'd use parchment

• Donna Powell

Thanks for asking about that. I actually didn't have a problem with the wax sticking to the wood because the temp of the oven was so low. However, the wax paper stuck to the baking sheet instead. So the next time I need to do this, with acorns this time, I plan to use parchment paper. I am not sure what aluminum foil will do. Good questions though. It is always a learning process.

• Val

super cute!

• Melinda Record

How cute are these ~ such a nice, sweet Autumn display, and will look beautiful from Halloween through to Thanksgiving. So very, very clever!

Thank you for sharing and inspiring.