Asked on Sep 10, 2020

Window treatment ideas for weird attic windows

Agnes ChrzanowskaBethDee
+17

My SIL needs help with how to diy curtains for this strange window in her daughter's bedroom. Paris theme. Draping or basic curtain design ideas needed please!

• K. Rupp

Hi Shaina, I can't see everything in this pic but this looks like a boxed seat window? I am wondering if you could treat this like a bay window where you use the walls farthest into the room to hang your long panels. What is the width of those walls on either side around the window that comes into the room? You would hang them the height of the largest middle window. They wouldn't need to be working panels but they would be hanging in a fixed way. Then you could make a boxed pleat valance, cornice or straight pelmet to hang over those panels...all the way across the top on those walls that come into the room. That would be a little higher than that largest window to incorporate the panels. Underneath that you could have a roman shade that comes down to the top of the smaller window height. This will give the effect that you have one Giant window all at the same height because you won't see the height differences covered up by the window treatment. For the actual working shade.....put stringless blinds on each window at the top where it looks like they mounted them before. They won't even be seen but they will be just to cut out light if you needed something to make it dark. Otherwise you don't need to add them.

I hope this explanation makes sense...I picked up this trick from watching years and years of Candice Olson. Good luck!

• Johnavallance82

Hi,

Buy French printed fabric and make Tie Blinds by adding long ribbons fixed at the top that hang down equally either side of the blind. To higher or lower them un tie and re tie the bows. You could just add curtain wires and thread on nets. Best wishes.

.

• Chas' Crazy Creations

Here's a post I did on shower curtain hacks, scroll down to the curtain idea and I think you could create your own curtains with the same concept. https://chascrazycreations.com/shower-curtain-hacks-14/

• I would add a roman shade to each window. I love the windows, btw....!

• Redcatcec

Looks like there are existing brackets installed, here are some Paris themed curtains at Amazon that could be used for the center window, complementary colored on the sides would work:

https://www.amazon.com/paris-curtains-bedroom/s?k=paris+curtains+for+bedroom

• FrugalFamilyTimes.com

They are lovely windows. I would do a simple Roman blind on each one. Lined if you want to block the light. Classic white would make your investment in blinds timeless.

• Claudia

Tack material like so

• Claudia

I posted an answer but dont see it

• Claudia

Tack fabric up like so

• Vimarhonor

Hello. If these are my windows I would run a panel horizontally across covering the majority of the three windows. For the remainder I would cut a piece of white board and just put a panel in there to block out the light unless you wanted a transom effect with the half moon window. The other alternative would you do would be to use pleated shades on all three windows and maintain the geometric configuration you visually see now

• Carrie @ Curly Crafty Mom

I'd do roman shades! Here is how to sew them if you want to pick out your own fabric (which could be fun!): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xv6QP9qw_Ds

• Kathy Gunter Law

She could do regular curtains on the 3 windows with a special treatment on the half circle but I would probably hang a regular curtain above the half circle on the middle window with the other 2 windows hung at the bracket levels I see in the photo.

• Cheryl A

Since there is an AC unit there you wouldn't want to put anything in front of it -here is info to help you out

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/137641332336594690/

• Kelli L. Milligan

I have this situation. I did stained glass for the center set and Roman shades for the sides. Looks great from front of House but I don't have an AC in mine.

Hi Shaina: I'd get some of those small spring cafe rods and hang lace curtains on the inside of the frames.

• Dee

Hi Shaina: I would do exactly as Vimarhonor

said and get either bamboo shade or make Roman shades for the 3 windows in the same pattern and leave the arch open

• Beth

I would make the windows into a Paris skyline. The half circle becomes a church dome, the AC an industrial stack, the remaining windows, apartments. Depending on your need for light and privacy, you could hang blinds behind some wood trim that hides them when up.

if you’re so inclined, paint some perspective lines on the wall the windows are in. Then add a sky, and it could be quite magical.

• Agnes Chrzanowska

I would only use thin panels on the side of each window and of course paint that wall with windows light so it looks more gracious