The Secret to Keeping Houseplants Alive

$0

Do you struggle with houseplants? Are you looking for ways to keep them alive? Mine used to struggle for years until I learned the secret to keeping them happy and healthy. And today, I'm sharing that secret with you.

While we could chat about a number of ways to keeping houseplants alive, there is one BIG thing we do wrong without even realizing it.

Over-watering.

Did you know that the number one houseplant killer is over-watering?

Yep. Rethinking how we water our plants will save a lot of heartache when a houseplant succumbs to pest and disease problems.

It is so important not to allow plants to sit in soggy roots.

Why? Because soggy roots promote pest and disease problems.

Keeping Your Houseplants Alive by Watering the Right Way

In general, and I do mean "in general," water houseplants roughly 1x per week. But this type of watering schedule may not work for all plants. So it's important to understand when a plant does not need to be watered.

NOTE: If you have succulents or cacti, water 1x a month or less. These plants typically thrive on neglect. For my cacti and succulents like aloe vera, cacti, etc., I don’t water them much at all and almost leave them alone.

Why We Mistakenly Over-Water

Most people water because the soil looks dry or it's that day of the week when they are scheduled to water.

The problem with both of these methods is that the soil where the roots are may not actually be dry.

And if the soil is not really dry, then plant roots sit in a wet soggy mess that promotes pest and disease problems.

So just because the top layer of soil looks dry doesn't mean it is. And, the plant may not "need" to be watered on the scheduled watering day.

How Does Soil Retain Water and Still Look Dry?

Wet soil is very similar to a sponge. If you soak a sponge and hold it upright, water collects at the bottom while the top dries out. Thus, the soil surface may look and feel dry, but may not be dry where the roots are located.

How to Determine Whether Houseplants NEED to be Watered

While I mentioned having a scheduled watering day could be harmful to plants, it is good to plan one so that watering is on your radar.

So choose a day of the week when you want to water. Then check each plant using the cake batter test.

• use a finger, plastic knife, popsicle stick or something similar.
  • insert it in to the soil about an inch down
  • if the tester comes out clean, it's time to water
  • if the tester comes out with some wet soil, do not water yet
  • Re-check using the same process in another day or two if the tester comes out with some wet soil.

Step 1 - Get a plastic knife, popsicle stick or you can use your finger

Step 2 - Insert the object into the soil about an inch or more down

Step 3 - Remove the object and see if if comes out dry or with wet soil

I know this sounds like a task but you will get to know your plants and their watering needs after a few weeks.

Pro-Tip for New Plants: It’s a good idea to use the cake batter test for the first few weeks of care so you get to know the plant and its watering requirements.

To learn more houseplant tips and tricks, click here.

15 Genius Ways to Organize Your Bedroom
30 Stunning Ways To Display Your Plants
30 Ideas To Make Your Office Look Great
16 Stunning Sign Ideas You Can Make for Your Home
15 Memorial Day Crafts
The Top 9 Kitchen Countertop Makeovers People Are Doing Now
30 Unbelievable Backyard Update Ideas
3 Gorgeous Ideas to Use Photo Frames - and Not for Pictures!
15 Awesome Projects To Get You Ready For St. Patrick's Day
18 String Art Ideas That You'll Want To Hang In Your Home
16 Floating Shelves That Will Stun Guests
10 Popular Cabinet Makeovers That Will Transform Your Kitchen
3 Ideas To Use Terracotta Pots You Definitely Haven't Seen Before
Stacy Ling

• Debi Coish

Is the picture in step 3 of a dry or damp knife?

• Jackie Sylvia
      27 minutes ago

Try doing ther knife trick with both a wet potted plant and a dry one, this way you can see the difference.

• Rosiepozzi

how often do I water my orchid?

• Kris

I've used popsicle stx & fingers and my plants still keep dying. The soil under the 1st cpl inches holds the water. I follow the guide of water til it comes out of drainage holes, and there are plenty of them, but I guess it still stays wet all around root ball or something. Have used all types of pots,clay, ceramic, plastic,all of them.Have gone to ridiculous lengths trying to have houseplants. Haven't had any success. I have 1 right now and if it goes, won't be trying anymore. What else could it be?

• Karla
      9 minutes ago

this is why the majority of my plants are in water. I have a peace lily that has been in water over 15 years and it flowered for the first time last year. I have a few spider plants that grow in water. Almost any plant that you can root in water, will grow in water. I use tap water, but let it sit at least 24 hours before using. Liquid plant food once every 4 months. Try the arrowhead plant. I pretty much ignore the plants in dirt until their leaves wilt. Good luck.

• Donnie
    10 hours ago

great idea! Thank you so much!

• Evie
    An hour ago

I like the insert the plastic knife or pop cycle stick idea, also I water with water that’s set in a jug for a day or so, they don’t like it right out of the tap.

EVON Halladay