Faux Stoneware Pumpkins

$10

I have recently been seeing so many tutorials of creating faux stoneware vases, by using paint mixed with baking soda and then painted on to glass jars. I love the look and texture that this technique gives, and I thought that it could look absolutely gorgeous to transform some cheap dollar store pumpkins. I was never a fan of the bright orange plasticky look that they had, but now that they have had a mini makeover I love them!

To begin this project you will need some fake pumpkins. I picked these up at the dollar store and they are super light weight and made of a hard foam.

I gave the pumpkins a super quick coat of primer to get rid of the shine and make sure I wouldn’t have any bleed through of orange in the future. You don’t need to be perfectly even with this. I like to use sewing pins as little feet to keep my pumpkins from sticking to anything as they dry.

Mix one tablespoon of baking soda into some regular latex paint. The more baking soda you add the more texture you will get, but don’t add to much that your paint turns into a paste and you can’t actually paint with it. I found that 1tbsp baking soda to 2tbsp paint worked great.

You can see here the texture that the baking soda gives. It l dries to a matte finish and it feels exactly like a piece of stoneware.

I used two different colours of paint. For each pumpkin that I painted I added a small amount of the darker paint and mixed it to create a slight colour variation between the pumpkins.

To add a bit more dimension to the pumpkins I painted a line in each crease using a darker shade of paint. To complete the look I used some gold craft paint to paint the stems. I am so happy with how these turned out, and I think that they look very elegant and classy now.

31 Tricks To Help You Fix The Wood In Your Home:
Here's How You Can DIY The Hottest Home Decor Trends of 2018
25 Ways You Can Be an Artist - With No Experience Necessary!
Get The Outdoor Space You've Always Dreamed Of With These DIY Ideas
Cuddling Up At Home With A Bottle Of Wine? Then Try These Projects!
Turn Dollar Store Laundry Basket Into Wreath Form In 8 Easy Steps
Does Your Staircase Need an Update?
Try These Gorgeous Ideas And The Mailman Will Never Miss Your Mailbox!
Do You Want to Update Your Antique Furniture?
30 Fabulous Wreath Ideas That Will Make Your Neighbors Smile
15 Awesome Projects To Get You Ready For St. Patrick's Day
The Best Industrial Style DIY Ideas For Your Home Using Pipes
Make Your Home a Winter Wonderland With These Stunning Ideas
Spruce Up Your Plain Lamp With One Of These Great Ideas