Modern Floating Nightstands

$25

We have a small house and our master bedroom isn’t huge. We had the same layout with our furniture for about 2 years and I never loved the flow of the rooms and I refuse to give up our king sized bed 😆. So when I rearranged my bedroom, I did not have room for my traditional nightstands. I loved the layout so much more than the previous one that I decided to forgo my nightstands and build small floating ones so that I would have exactly enough space for our glasses, and a book, remote or drink. Not only would it look more modern and sleek, it would give us more floor space and reduce the areas where I could store useless clutter.

These sleek, modern floating nightstands will elevate your small space and reduce clutter.

Step 1: Measure your space and gather materials

I had 14 inches on each side of my bed so I knew that I wanted my nightstands to be about 12 inches wide. I had a 1x12 x6 on hand but these cost about $15 at Home Depot.

Step 2: measure your pieces

I wanted my nightstands to be about 12 inches wide, 10 nches long and to come out from the wall about 8 inches. I also wanted them to be a curved shape as to add more interest and be a bit more modern. This would also keep me from bruising my hips as I walk by them 😂.

Step 3: Draw your arch.

Measure a piece of string or yarn and cut to the length you want your surface to be. Mine is 8inches. Hold or tack it to the center of the bottom of your piece, and draw an arch on your wood. Be sure to keep the string taut so that your arch is even.

Step 4: Cut your first piece.

Cut your first piece with a jigsaw

Step 5: Trace your remaining pieces.

Use your first piece as a guide to cut 3 more arches. You will have 4 total. Sand all of these smooth- especially the arch.

Step 6: Measure your back piece and cut

I wanted my back piece to be 8 inches long so that when I attach my top and bottom, it is about 10 inches total. Measure these and cut straight across with a table saw. Sand smooth

Step 7: Attach your pieces

I used Titebond to glue my pieces together. I then clamped them and used my nail gun for extra stability.

Step 8: Fill the holes

Use wood filler to fill any nail holes and seams and sand smooth.

Step 9: Stain, paint or seal.

I chose to leave my wood natural and just did 2 coats of polycrylic spray for protection.

Step 10: Mount to wall

I just screwed my nightstands straight into the studs using 2 screws directly in the middle of the back piece of my nightstand. If you aren’t able to locate a stud, use anchors and pre drill your holes.

This has been the perfect solution for us in our small space. I placed a small basket under the bed to hold my hand lotion, chapstick, etc that I normally would have inside a nightstand. Not having an extra place to shove clutter has been such a freeing feeling.

Visit my instagram www.instagram.com/baker.blooms

for the videos and more views.

These Stunning Seating Ideas Will Blow You Away
15 DIY Projects That Will Make You Say "WOW!"
31 Ways To Keep Your Home Organized
15 Awesome Projects To Get You Ready For St. Patrick's Day
3 Ideas To Use Terracotta Pots You Definitely Haven't Seen Before
31 Ways To Get Privacy Inside And Outside Your Home
10 Popular Cabinet Makeovers That Will Transform Your Kitchen
Everything Red For Canada Day
How A Little Bit Of Glitter Can Go A Long Way!
Cuddling Up At Home With A Bottle Of Wine? Then Try These Projects!
Check Out These 15 Beautiful Flower Ideas For Spring

• Pam-ella

Wow you are talented! What did you use to paint the black? I like how it's not perfectly straight across where the colors meet.

• Meg

Oh thank you! I just didn’t tape it off and used a roller to make the rough edge.

• Debra

Where did you get the lamps? love them and the whole bedroom

• Debra

Quick look, didn't find these lamps, but LOVE the looks at World Market. I will be checking them out more.