Asked on Sep 13, 2020

How do I know my windows are gas filled ?

BetsyRamboCynthia HKen Erickson
+3

Tilt ins. Older but in great shape. Rubber flaps in between is unreachable and shows spotted mold. There are 2 screws on top of each window piece looking like u could open to remove mullions. But don’t know if they are gas filled and if would ruin 38 tops and 38 bottoms! No fogging -want to clean that unsightly mold off rubber edging inside!

• If they are double-pane windows, they probably are. This is also a sign that your seal may be damaged. You may want to contact a professional.

• Ken Erickson

If you open the windows, they will no longer be gas filled.

• Ken Erickson

Window company can give you a free estimate and determine best course of action.

• Cynthia H

Millions are often attached after the window is installed. They are not part of the sealed windows, at least mine aren't. They are usually extra cost and removable. I would try one window. If the molding pieces are removed with those screws, they can be removed and cleaned. The nice part about removing them, is you can thoroughly clean the glass under them. Generally, the sealed windows I have looked at didn't have screws holding them together. That wouldn't give you the airtight seal you need. Good luck and stay safe!

• BetsyRambo

Thank you all. These windows are at least 30 years old. They are in perfect shape, so having 38 there is no way I can replace them! But, I don’t know that they were using argon gas to fill double paned tilt ins that long ago. The mullions are in between the two panes The two screws at the top would lead me to believe they are so you can remove those mullions if u wish but really don’t know. The seal must be intact because I’ve never had an ounce of fogging. If those screws keep them from being air tight maybe they also then allow slight ventilation so that’s why no fogging? Also the insides never need to be cleaned. Ever. Just the inside and outside of entire window. But those seal pieces which can’t be seen unless you look down into the windows drive me crazy. There are NO leaks of air around any of the windows, no drafts