Asked on Sep 13, 2020

Cleaning gold or silver rings that are tarnished?

Kathy Gunter LawCindyDee
+11

• Simple Nature Decor

I use a cleaner called tarnex cleaner or this solutions works too..... Quickly restore your jewelry or tableware with vinegar, water and baking soda. This cleaning agent is a great option for many things including your tarnished silver. Mix 1/2 cup of white vinegar with 2 tablespoons of baking soda in a bowl of lukewarm water. Let the silver soak for two to three hours.

• Annie

If you go to a jewellry section in your department store, they will have a liquid cleaner there. You put your jewelry in there to soak for a bit. It even comes with a little brush in case you need to scrub stubborn spot.

• K. Rupp

For silver, use silver polish for your silver rings. You can also use toothpaste which will work just the same. I clean my gold rings with dish soap, and toothbrush.

• Cynthia H

If there are stones, you should have them checked and cleaned at a jewelry store. I know this because I once lost a diamond due to a damaged fitting. Raised settings also get really dirty. I wash my gold anniversary ring when I wash my hands. Most jewelry stays off when painting or doing anything messy. Watch rubber or latex glove removal because it's easy to loose a stone or an entire ring pulling them off. Good luck and stay safe!

• Vimarhonor

Hello, It depends on the jewelry , I like the impregnated cloth to clean my sterling silver and I find that works wonderful too -to buff up bracelets and rings that oxidize and darken.

https://www.amazon.com/CONNOISSEURS-Silver-Polishing-Jewelry-Cleaner/dp/B0000UZ5P0/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

• Redcatcec

For silver, I use toothpaste, the non-gel kind with a soft tooth brush, in the sink with the drain blocked off, then rinse and dry with a microfiber cloth.

For gold, I use blue dawn dish soap and a soft bristled tooth brush, dry with a micro fiber cloth.

• BetsyRambo

Google it but silver can be put in sink with alum foil in bottom and I think baking soda and water to cover. Not sure if exact formula so look it up but the pieces need to be in contact with foil. Pinterest and Etsy. Search cleaning various metals!

• Chloe Crabtree

For silver that is dull, filmy, or not yet discolored, mix a few drops of mild dish soap with warm water and dip in a soft cloth. Rub the jewelry, then rinse in cool water and buff with a cloth until dry. For heavier tarnish, mix a paste of three parts baking soda to one part water.

For gold:

1. Fill a small bowl with lukewarm water, and add some mild dish soap to prepare a simple cleaning solution.
    2. Soak your gold rings in the solution, and leave them in it for about 20-30 minutes. ...
    3. Rinse the soap residue off your gold rings with water.
    4. Dry your jewelry with a clean towel.

• Em

Toothpaste cleans fairly well, not the gel kind though. Buy a cloth with jewelers rouge on it. It last for years and cleans all jewelry very nicely.

• Deb K

Hi Debbie, hope this helps, also remember, what works for silver, is not necessarily safe for gold, keep them separate.

This is for cleaning gold,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_dt3sPOKzg

And for silver,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsfuSgrvEoQ

• Dee

Alcohol and and a little Dawn. Soak, then use a soft tooth brush to clean. Dry with a microfiber cloth. Makes diamonds shine. You could also go to a jewelry store and they will clean your jewelry for free. I know Kay jewelers does.

• Cindy

To clean silver, line a bowl with alum foil. Add one tablespoon baking soda, and one tablespoon of salt. Pour in warm water (not hot) and stir. Place your jewelry in this solution. It must come in contact with the foil. Leave them in for a minute or two while you move the items around to clean. Then put in clean water to rinse, and place items on a clean dry towel to dry .

• Kathy Gunter Law

I purchase a polishing cloth from walmart many years ago. It is the best and simplest way to clean all my jewelry that I have found.