Asked on Sep 13, 2020

Knives?

Deb KOlivaKen Erickson
+17

Do you prefer to have your knives in a drawer or on top of counter in a block or canister?

I have done both ways but just got new countertops and trying to decide how to store them

thanks

• I prefer them in a drawer, but my larger knives have sleeves over them, making this easier to manage. This makes the countertop less cluttered. :)

• Mine are in a drawer - less clutter on the counter.

• Morgan McBride

I use a knife block.

• Pat

In a drawer...butcher block on counter is just another thing to have to keep clean. and less clutter.

• FrugalFamilyTimes.com

It’s really a question of how much counter space and drawer space you have. We have almost no drawer space, so a knife block is our best storage option. If we had lots of drawers - I’d prefer clear counters!

• Redcatcec

Ours are in the drawer, simply because flies get in the house no matter how hard you try to keep them out. They land on anything and everything that draws them. I can't stand those bacteria carrying insects. Think of what they land on before coming into your house.

Instead of a knife block, you could use a container of rice to stick them in. Knife blocks require they fit into a certain slots, not that there is anything wrong with that, it is just too structured for me.

• Oliva

In a drawer-out of sight. I detest clutter on my countertops-it's an OCD thing...

Hi Peggy: I have both, but I prefer the ones on the block. There have been way too many times when I reached into the drawer quickly and the blade was facing up :( So, my preference is to use a block :) Good luck

• Janie

Blocks hold bacteria. Use magnetic strips on a wall. ( use caution with kids)

• Chloe Crabtree

I store mine in a drawer in a cork holder, only because I don't have enough countertop space. If you have enough countertop space, it is handy to have them out.

• Janice

I like mine in a block near where I use them so I can reach them even if my hands are wet or greasy from working on a recipe. I have very little "clutter" on my counter but I do have the knives there. Everyone has a different preference.

• Em

I keep mine in a drawer but they all have plastic covers on the blades.

• Dee

There are butcher blocks that you can install in your drawers. Takes the knives off the counter and protects them in the drawer.

• Cindy

We use our knives almost every day. (except when it's pizza night) We keep the large knives in a block. We keep all the other knives in a drawer.

• Peggy Burnette

I prefer to have knives in a drawer. I feel it is safer storing them out of sight.

• Cheryl A

I have a knife block on my counter for knife storage and also a few others in a small drawer near the stove- less clutter on the countertops

• Kathy Gunter Law

If on the counter, definitely in a knife specific device like block or knife holder than a canister. I really like them in a drawer but only if they can be somewhere you don't accidentally grab the blade.

• Ken Erickson

A dedicated shallow drawer would be nice, but you need a spot for each knife to protect them. We currently have a knife block on out counter. We used a magnetic bar attached to the wall in our last house.

• Oliva

If you have sufficient drawer space and cash, you can have custom made knife holders for your drawers. On average, two holders will contain 10-12 knives, keeping the cutting edge down and handles recessed, but readily accessible.

• Deb K

Hi Peggy, I have a set of butcher type knives (Jamie Oliver) and I have them in a block on the counter, but I store all the other knives in the drawer, including steak knives. I think it is important to protect the blades on the bigger knives so they hold their edge, so the block does a great job of that.