The Power of Paint: Bedroom Accent Wall

$10

I believe I have mentioned before that I have been diligently working to create a relaxing bedroom suite for my husband and I, and though I have thrifted a few things here and there, nothing really seemed to upgrade the space- style-wise. Dissatisfied with my last thrifted find I decided to take matters into my own hands and come up with something fresh and new. I am constantly on the lookout for inspiration on Pinterest, Instagram, or Youtube and though I found quite a few options, they nearly all involved painting the walls  ... you see... My husband loves things to be light and bright (as do I), so earlier this year I single-handedly (is that a word?!) painted the entire interior of our house a bright white. By the end of it, I...was...so...done...with...PAINTING!!!! That experience alone scarred me so much that it took about 6 months before I could even bring myself to open another can of paint! Once I recovered from the trauma I decided on a simple upgrade of a painted accent wall with moulding. I was indecisive though on whether to carry the paint all the way to the ceiling or only do half. Doing half would limit the molding options that I was debating over, but at least with going half if I didn't like it I could go ahead and paint the upper portion of the wall the accent color as well. Here is how I did it.....

BEFORE... (Lawd what have I come to posting this embarrassing photo on the internet?!!!)

What you will need:

• Paint (this gallon was $15 at Walmart. I probably could have gotten away with a pint of paint, as I have nearly the entire can left.)

What you will need:

• Wood/PVC trim. I chose a 1-1/4" wood trim.

• You will also need nails to attach the trim to the wall.

I started by measuring how high up I wanted the line to be. After marking several locations, I played “connect the dots” with a torpedo level in order to ensure that everything was level/straight (a laser level would streamline this process!).

**If you do not plan to place trim where the two colors meet, you can paint across the tape with the top portion's paint color before you paint the lower portion. This will ensure a crisp paint line.**

Note: Using tape to create the line is optional. Especially if you plan to cover it with trim.

I painted the lower portion of the wall a matte black.

This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

While the paint was still wet I removed the tape.

Add trim

I decided to add trim to contrast the two colors. I will admit that initially when I looked at it the first thing that popped into my mind was that it reminded me of bowling shoes 🤔 ... nonetheless when I looked at it the next day with fresh eyes, I loved the color contrast/combination.

I added cord covers to the sconce cords to give the wall a more finished look.

I wanted to add a pop of color to this otherwise monochromatic space. *In steps the new rose pink bed spread*

DONE!!

15 DIY Projects That Will Make You Say "WOW!"
15 Unbelievable Ways People Paint Their Walls
Do You Want to Update Your Antique Furniture?
30 Gorgeous Ways To Keep Your Home Organized
These 21 Bloggers Came Up With The Most Amazing Organization Ideas
Spruce Up Your Plain Lamp With One Of These Great Ideas
Upcycle Your Old Clothing Items For These Great Ideas!
How To: Make Hot Glue Placemats + More Crafts Ideas!
31 Ways For You To Style Your Garden
Try These Gorgeous Ideas And The Mailman Will Never Miss Your Mailbox!
These Stunning Seating Ideas Will Blow You Away