Upcycled Thrifted Dresser

$100

I have always been drawn to ornate furniture. Maybe it’s because back in the 70’s (I’m dating myself here) I remember my parents had a set of bedroom furniture and I’m so drawn to that style now.

I was out thrifting earlier this week and there she was. I was elated. It was so intricate and amazing.

Now we are getting ready to move to a new to us (but much older) home soon and I have several pieces to paint in the garage and had already committed to buying no more pieces. I accidentally lied. I was smitten so I just texted this pic to my husband and said please? And he said ok.

He’s a good sport! And he had to go back and pick it up as these pieces are heavy but he knows how I am.

I went to Home Depot the next day and picked out a color! I used their Behr decorative chalk paint in the color Brooklyn.

It’s a greenish blue and I loved it.

I also picked up a can of Varathane in matte finish to seal it with.

These are most of the supplies I used pictured.

Both of the doors on either side open and I had this wallpaper on hand (which I often thrift) but this one was purchased locally and it matched the color perfectly.

Also that chunky hardware is funky and fun.

Once I cleaned the piece with Krud Kutter, and scuffed what I could (the ornate details are plastic and the paint sticks pretty well to it) I got to work. I had this paint brush on hand but Wooster shortcut brushes are nice and inexpensive too.

I decided the hardware needed a silver look with the color of the piece so I used Rustoleum in satin nickel.

I ended up using three coats of the Brooklyn for good coverage and then I took a detail brush and dipped into my General Finishes Alabaster with very little paint on the brush and went over the detailed parts to make them stand out even more with the creamy white.

Once the paint was dry I brushed my poly on.

I used this 3M adhesive to adhere the paper on the back of the doors.

I did this outside as I didn’t want adhesive all over the floor. And the piece. And you get the point.

I’d say the nickel hardware was a good choice. I love the new look!

If you love watching people paint, ramble, or share silly stories you can find me on the gram.

Instagram.com/pickedandposhed

30 Great Mason Jar Ideas You Have To Try
25 Creative Ways You Can Decorate Using Maps
Turn Dollar Store Laundry Basket Into Wreath Form In 8 Easy Steps
Get The Party Started With These Perfect DIY Decor Ideas
3 Great Projects To Flip Your Cookie Sheet Pans
31 Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
Get The Outdoor Space You've Always Dreamed Of With These DIY Ideas
Make Your Kitchen Beautiful With These 15 Inexpensive Ideas
Cut Up Some Pallets For These 20 Amazing Ideas
23 Surprising Uses for Curtain Rings
18 String Art Ideas That You'll Want To Hang In Your Home
31 Ways To Keep Your Home Organized

• Trudy

When I see those ornate pieces that are covered with that swirly brown plastic I cringe and think "tacky". But what you've done is extraordinary! Hunting for my own piece of tacky furniture now!

Did you dry brush the details? I don't see a link to a blog. Not an "Insta" girl yet.

• LibraryKAT

She says she took a brush with alabaster paint to highlight the carvings.

• Elizabeth

LOVE how it came out. Would also love to see the inside of the doors (with the added wallpaper). Are you using it in a bedroom or...? I imagine it could fit anywhere as a beautiful storage piece - even as a dining room storage (linens and such?) I've always wanted to install dowels -or perhaps a slide out 'tie' rack in furniture to hold my ironed (yes, I'm a dinosaur) tablecloths--and this piece's side doors make me think that could be done? Wonderful choice of colours!

• Georgia

Where did you use the black Milk paint?

• LibraryKAT

The open can does look black, but she says it was a deep blue green in color.