How I Updated My Ugly Closet Door to Look Amazing and Be Functional!

$30
1 Day

My closet door was REALLY ugly. I know I know that's an odd thing to be so passionate about, but it bothered me! It wasn't even painted like the other doors in the house, and the door knobs didn't match either. The previous owners must have changing the door knobs but stopped at the closet doors to avoid spending money. I also didn't want to spend too much money but I had a plan!

This is the before, bleh! HORRIBLE! Did I mention I have a walk in closet? I can't have a beautiful walk in closet with an ugly door now can I!?

So the first thing was removing the door knob and painting the door. I used primer from Sherwin Williams and then some old paint I had from a previous project that was off-white (Marshmallow by Sherwin Williams to be exact).

After the paint dried I decided to add some bars to the back of the door for functionality. Originally I planned to put a mirror here but I already have a mirror right outside the closet so I decided to put bars instead that I can use to either hang my favorite jeans or style outfits I plan to wear.

Next steps was dealing with those door knobs. They were those old gold standard knobs.

I wanted to scuff them up using grit sand paper so the spray paint would stick well.

I just rubbed the sand paper over the knobs until they looks scratched up like this.

Then I used the Rustoleum Metallic spray paint in black to match the new bars I put in.

I just used an old cardboard box to rest the knobs on.

Make sure to have a steady stream to avoid dripping.

I did one coat since I liked the look of the old gold coming through under the black metallic paint but for more of a solid finish do two coats and let them dry for an hour in between.

All done! A beautiful door to match the rest of my beautiful closet

26 Adorable Ornament Ideas to Get You REALLY Excited for Christmas
23 Surprising Uses for Curtain Rings
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
3 Gorgeous And Unique Ideas To Display Your Plants
Quick Easter Egg Ideas That Are Just Too Cute
15 Clever Repurposing Ideas That Will Add Some Creativity to Your Home

• Tanya Loving
    Tanya Loving

My closet doors are hollow core. How did you attach the bars so that they would hold any kind of weight without ripping a huge hole in the door?

• Berta Lily
      Berta Lily

My doors a hollow as well, the bars were very light and I use them when picking out my outfits so there is only ever a handful of garmets on them.

• Bernadette Moran
    Bernadette Moran

Have you any craft ideas for old roller blinds

1 comment