How I Made Glass Vases Look Like Pottery!

$10

I had a bunch of glass vases and lying around that just weren't doing it for me anymore. So I decided to upgrade them using some old paint I had laying around.

I went with a tan color because I wanted the vases to look like stone/pottery and mixed it with a K-Cup of coffee grinds and 2 table spoons of baking soda.

I wanted the consistence to be chunky to create more texture.

This vase in particular had a lot of pattern but wasn't my style. I feel that the more the texture the original piece has, the better the paint looks.

Then I got to work using a paint brush.

I wasn't too concerned about putting the paint on thin or even uniform since I feel like pottery wouldn't be perfectly formed.

Don't forget the inside! Maybe this step isn't necessary if you plan to put things in the vase but I preferred to do it so that the look was complete.

My 2 year old saw me doing this and wanted in so I recruited her and she was having a lot of fun painting the containers so I kept looking for more and more old glass containers to pain!

I think we ended up with a little more then we needed but its better she had fun with them rather then them collecting dust on a shelf somewhere.

Perfect vases for the Fall in the Air!

I also had these candy dishes/cups for pumpkin season I usually put out but this year I decided to give them an extra hint of pizaz.

Using the same technice as above, I painted the inside and outside of the containers.

Using the same technique as above, I painted the

I think I love these even more then the originals!

Perfect for my succulents

14 DIY Must-Haves For All Camping Trips
Get The Outdoor Space You've Always Dreamed Of With These DIY Ideas
Get Ready For The Baseball Season With These Great Projects
15 Amazing Craft Projects That You Can Do Under 15 Minutes
31 Creative Ways To Fill Empty Wall Space
30 Gorgeous Ways To Keep Your Home Organized
Easy DIY Ideas To Add Some FUN To Your Office Space
Try These Gorgeous Ideas And The Mailman Will Never Miss Your Mailbox!
15 Home Improvement DIY Ideas You'll Want To Copy This Month
31 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
30 Unbelievable Backyard Update Ideas
15 Perfectly Round Tables
30 Great Ideas For Every Pet Owner!

• Kim

Great idea, will be my next project. Out of curiosity, what is the purpose of the baking soda? Thanks!

• CMHolt

Baking soda thickens the paint and gives it a grainy texture

• CMHolt

I took this in a slightly different direction, thank you for the inspiration....I dry brushed the high spots and sealed with Modpodge

• Sandra
    9 minutes ago

I have some Plaster of Paris that I bought for a project that I never did. Could you mix Plaster of Paris in the paint instead of the coffee grounds and baking soda? I think that might even work better?

• Sandra
      2 minutes ago

I'm also wondering if roughing up the surface of the glass with sandpaper would help the paint adhere better.

• Linda Jameson

Wow I wonder if someone is sorry now?

• Janice

I doubt it.....most things that are done can be undone with some work. I imagine these could be soaked in hot soapy water overnight and could be returned to original if one wanted to go to the work.

• Alicia

That vase is a Partylite vase