Asked on Sep 15, 2020

How to landscape a hill in front yard??

EmLauren of Mom Home GuideCheryl A
+13

Too steep for just putting rock on it, but really don't want to tear it, budget friendly only.

• Redcatcec

Erosion preventing plants would do the job, low maintenance. Something that spreads and attaches firmly in the soil.

https://www.stepables.com/

However, I would not recommend mint, it will invade.

• Mogie

How To Landscape A Steep Slope On A Budget – Making It Beautiful

https://carveyourcreation.com/how-to-landscape-a-steep-slope-on-a-budget

How to Landscape a Backyard With a Slope on a Very Small Budget

https://www.hunker.com/13424515/how-to-landscape-a-backyard-with-a-slope-on-a-very-small-budget

• Kathy Gunter Law

You could terrace it. It isn't very expensive but is labor intensive. I have a friend who terraced their hill and used rock that he picked up around creeks for the edge of each "step.

• Cindy

Take a look on the internet at all terrain plants. They hold tight to the soil they are planted in, so that erosion is minimal. I think they would work perfect on your hill. Good luck Shelli. I hope you are well.

• Vimarhonor

Hello. Looking over Houzz and Pinterest can give some ideas. Sometimes a break in the slope is very attractive. Perhaps you could find some recycled materials to make it an economical project.

• I would tear out the grass and plant plants that spread - creeping phlox, bugleweed, daylilies, etc.

• Janice

Since you mentioned you didn't want to tier the hill, your best bet would be as many have suggested, speading, easy-to-grow . low-maintenance plants that will quickly cover the hill aea.

• Morgan McBride

Do you want to add plants? what is it now?

• Ken Erickson

Many homes in our area have tall and steep yards. They all have 2" rock over the entire hill. I would install 1/2" flexible irrigation hose below the rock in case you want to plant shrubs in the future with drip watering.

An expensive way is to put in retaining walls and build terraces.

• Oliva

Steep slopes will not hold water, so look for plants that may work in your planting zone, and will spread (Autumn Joy sedums/sedums/creeping thyme, etc.) without requiring excessive water.

Hi Shelli: A ground cover would be a nice idea. They spread like mad, some have a nice smell, but remember, they are invasive and will go all over so you have to keep them in check.

• Flipturn

Are you wanting only low-maintenance ideas for landscaping the slope?

Landscaping plans that prevent erosion, and do not need a great deal of maintenance, require large budgets and strong muscles.

• Cheryl A

I have a slight hill in my back yard, I bought creeping jenny plants and it has filled in nicely just depends on how big a space you have. You could use English Ivy but it is very invasive and snakes love to hide out in it!

• Lauren of Mom Home Guide

I agree with planting a ground cover - or a plant that’s native to your area.

• Em

Sounds lovely with all of the advice on plants, but my hill is the same. Very long and very steep. It sounds so easy to say plant spreading plants but have any of you looked at the price of plants??? To cover a hillside even spacing very far apart is comes with a large price tag AND takes quite a few years for the plants to spread. In the mean time you will be weeding your head off waiting for what you planted to grow. I put down weed barrier the first year I moved in and a lot of weeds especially clover and crabgrass grew wild underneath the cloth. Mulch won't stay put it flushes down the hillside ESPECIALLY with cloth. I just keep planting new plants and shrubs when I find them on sale and get everything and I can from friends and neighbors to fill in spaces. I still have a ton of weeding to do after 4 years and it isn't easy work on a steep hillside.