Plastic Straw Light Fixture DIY - Yes, Plastic Straws!

$6

I have a plain light fixture in my closet and decided to give it a cheap upgrade. I grabbed some plastic straws from Walmart, some cardboard I had laying around, spray paint, some hot glue and made myself a fun light fixture!

For this project I only needed to purchase the plastic straws so I only spent around $6!

Before + After! I love the way this turned out! I didn't want to spend a lot of money, so I was creative and resourceful with what I had to make this quick little update.

Materials Needed

-Not pictured 2-3 command strips to attach to the ceiling.

This is the existing light fixture.

Step One - Make Template

I used a tape measure to see the distance across the light fixture and went off of that. I added 1 inch to attach the straws onto. If I were to make this again, I would probably go 1/2 inch just so it doesn't show so much.

Step Two - Cut Out

I used scissors and a razor blade to cut out the center circle as well.

After cutting the cardboard out, I brought it back to the light fixture to made sure it fit.

Step Three - Paint

The existing light fixture was silver. I chose to paint the straws gold, so I wanted it to match. I taped the light fixture off and spray painted it.

NOTE - I am fully aware that I could have taken the light fixture down to paint, I was simply being lazy and in my opinion this was the quicker option to just tape and paint it while it was hung.

Step Four - Attach Staws To Cardboard

This was very simple. I used my hot glue gun and added the straws. I did a variation of different lengths. I cut before I glued.

Step Five - Add Command Strips + Hang

I decided to hang it with the card board showing, but you could hang either way. I just used the velcro like command strips to hang.

I'm pleased with the way this turned out. It was a very inexpensive way to spruce up my closet!

30 Ideas To Make Your Office Look Great
30 Neat Ideas To Upgrade Your Backyard
31 Creative Ways To Fill Empty Wall Space
3 Simple Green Ways To Clean In Your Home
30 Address Signs That'll Make Your Neighbors Stop in Admiration
Spring Cleaning Tricks for the Kitchen
3 Great Projects To Flip Your Cookie Sheet Pans
30 Jaw-Dropping Decorating Techniques You've Never Seen Before
Use Your Old Corks For These 25 Clever Ideas
21 Small Things You Can Do to Beautify Your Home This Weekend
15 Cute Ways To Decorate Tin Cans Into Planters
3 Gorgeous & Easy Projects to Help You Decorate for Fall

• Cheryl Rimmer

You did a great job. My question is how do you tolerate all of these Karen comments? 😂

• Linda steaples

I was thinking about the same thing when reading the comments LIKE REALLY PEOPLE THINK LIKE THAT NOW AMAZINGTO ME !!!!!!

• Virginia

How do you get rid of the dust that accumulates on the straws?

• Flipturn

Virginia,

Blow air against the straws with a hair blow dryer set on 'cool' or 'air'.

• Miriam Laboy

Doesn't the heat melt the straws eventually?

• Brenda Gimbel

She probably uses LED light bulbs which throw off very little heat. Otherwise with regular bulbs this would surely mot be a great idea.

• Julie

It seems like the heat from the light would possibly start a fire from the straws or cardboard.

• Lisa West

At first I thought I was not going to like this upgrade. How ever it turned put absolutly adorable. I do like it alot. Thank you for sharing. Its pretty amazing what items used can create a prettier or upscaled space ... again thank you for sharing.