How to Make a Farmhouse Coat Rack in 5 Simple Steps

$16

Easy to follow steps to make your own simple DIY farmhouse row of hooks. Rustic name slot hooks and a stained board easily go together to create this coat rack.

I made this farmhouse style coat rack for my son's room but who couldn't use an extra row of hooks anywhere? Am I right!?

This coat rack can be used in a bedroom, bathroom, mudroom, laundry room, office or closet...the possibilities are endless.

1. Cut Board for Coat Rack to Length

I bought a new 1"x6"x6" whitewood board from my local home improvement store, then had it cut down to 34" long in the store. So easy!

You could save even more money by using a piece of scrap wood.

2. Staining the Board with Two Colors

After giving the new board a quick sanding along the edges I started staining with Minwax wood finish stain in espresso.

I like to use an old t-shirt when applying stain. Wiping the board with a clean rag immediately to prevent it from getting too dark and create a rustic look.

Then I went back over the board with a second coat of Minwax stain in gray. Using two different colors gave the board a pretty finish.

3. Attaching the Farmhouse Style Hooks to the Board

These farmhouse style hooks are from Hobby Lobby. Be sure to buy them when they are on sale!

Using decorative screws purchased from Lowe's I attached 4 hooks to create a row of hooks.

4. Secure Coat Rack to Wall with Anchors

I was able to attach the row of hooks to the wall with anchors right through the center of the rustic name slot hooks that will be covered in the next step.

5. Make Name Cards for Slot Hooks

Using my computer & printer made easy work of creating name cards for the name slot hooks.

I used the Bradley Hand font and printed the words out on white card stock.

Then just trimmed each label to size for the slots and slipped the card in the name slot hook.

Why spend a ton of money on a farmhouse style coat rack when you can make one for under $20?

A simple, fast & affordable DIY project in 5 easy steps!

For more details and links visit the blog.

3 Gorgeous Decor Projects In The Oh-So-Chic Geometric Style
3 Easy Ways to Make The Cutest Coasters for Your House
3 Simple Green Ways To Clean In Your Home
Check Out These Wonderful Ways To Decorate Your Plain Mugs
15 Home Improvement DIY Ideas You'll Want To Copy This Month
15 Genius Ways to Organize Your Bedroom
15 Stencil Patterns You'll Wish You'd Seen Sooner
24 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
The Wonderful Things You Can Make With...Paper!
20 Ways To Make Your Own Personalized Clock
3 Wonderful Ways You Can Upcycle Old Windows
15 DIY Projects That Will Make You Say "WOW!"
Simply2Moms

• Melinda Record

This turned out so perfect; very clever and it adds such a nice touch to the wall for hanging stuff. It would also be such a cute way to display Christmas stockings if no fireplace is available ...

Thank you for sharing and inspiring !

• Lynne

awesome idea!! thanks