DIY Modern Firewood Holder - A Sexy Way to Hold Your Logs

$10

Make this easy DIY modern firewood holder to add some modern charm and warmth to your space.

Since I started working on this project I have had several people ask me if we have a wood-burning fireplace. We don't actually it's gas...but for some reason having firewood next to a fireplace even if it never gets used, makes a space more inviting and warm.

I wanted to add some more modern touches to my otherwise rustic farmhouse style so when I saw some Iron House Log Holders priced in the hundreds of dollars, I was inspired to create my own for FREE.

The way I built this firewood holder is purely meant for decoration. It is not meant to hold a lot of firewood or even take a beating from the movement of adding and taking away firewood. If you want something more stable consider using thicker wood.

My log holder measured 27 3/8 L 12 1/8 W x 13 7/8 D inches and the pieces of wood were 5/8 inch thick. Cut your wood to your sizing preferences or with what scrap wood you have available. Due to imperfections and minor errors in cuts, I recommend cutting your pieces as you go instead of cutting everything in the beginning. Remember to measure twice cut once.

*Tip - You will notice that the end of the slants sticks out about a 1/4 inch from the side pieces. I marked this point and cut it off at a 45-degree angle so it will sit flush with the sides.

Assemble the roof and sides. To do this apply wood glue to the end of one 45 degree roof piece and attach it to a long side using pin nails. Use a clamp to hold the side in place. Repeat this for all the roof slants and sides. 

Attach one assembled side and roof slant to another assembled side and roof slant. Again using wood glue and pin nails to attach. A square helps with alignment. 

Repeat until you have the front and back of the house complete. 

To make legs I created clearance by putting a piece of scrap plywood under the bottom horizontal pieces while attaching them to the sides.

Add the final three top pieces. Apply wood glue to the ends, clamp in place then attach with pin nails. 

Sand and add paint or stain. I sanded using an orbital sander and 220 grit sandpaper. I was going for a modern look so I used flat black latex paint. 

Apply a sealer. I used a triple-thick poly to protect it from the logs sitting on it. Then finally I put it next to the fireplace and set several logs on it.

Now I have a modern way to display logs for my real  fireplace.

Thanks for checking out this post. To see another modern project for your living or family room check out this DIY Modern Blanket Ladder.

Visit this post showcasing several scrap wood projects if you need to thin out your wood pile.

31 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
Add A Hint Of Farmhouse Style In Your Home With These Ideas
Do You Want to Make Over a Room in Your Home & Add Gorgeous Built-Ins?
30 Jaw-Dropping Decorating Techniques You've Never Seen Before
3 Gorgeous And Unique Ideas To Display Your Plants
3 Gorgeous Decor Projects In The Oh-So-Chic Geometric Style
27 Wonderful Ways You Can Use Scrapbooking Paper
3 Great Projects To Flip Your Cookie Sheet Pans
Copy One Of These Lovely Lattice Ideas For Your Home
26 Adorable Ornament Ideas to Get You REALLY Excited for Christmas
Jazz Up Your Bathroom With These 30 Stylish Additions
Tiffany from Dream Design DIY