How to Clean Marble Floors and Countertops

$20

Marble is a beautiful material but it's not the easiest to keep clean. Did you know that you aren't supposed to us anything acidic on marble? Also, did you know that almost every cleaner is acidic.

How you clean your marble depends on what you are cleaning. Are you cleaning a stain? Are you just trying to clean your counters on a regular basis? Are you trying to get rid of etch marks (rings)? There are different methods to clean each.

How to Clean Stains

This is the hardest one, so we will start with it. Marble is a very porous stone and you can pull stains out using natural products, but it takes time. For this you will need to make a paste called a poultice.

A poultice that is suitable for marble is baking soda and water. Make it thick enough where you can smear it on the stain and cover it.

Mix together baking soda and water

Stained marble floor before

The next step is to smear the poultice over your marble. Smear it on like thick tooth paste. Cover the poultice up with saran wrap and let it sit over night.

Marble after

After it sits over night, wipe it clean with some water. As you can see, having marble floors in a bathroom has it's limitations.

How to Clean Marble Floor and Counters

Regular cleaning of your marble floors should ONLY be done with products that are no acidic. Never use cleaners that contain vinegar. It can also damage or discolor marble if you use bleach.

In addition don't use lemon or any cleaner with an ingredient that has the word acid in it.

Target, Home Depot and Amazon all have cleaners that are made for marble. It might be a little more expensive, but it's worth the price if you have marble floors.

You can use a diluted ammonia on marble, but you need to be sure to rinse with water after. Use 1/2 cup of ammonia to 1 gallon of water.

Regular marble cleaner I like

20 Ways To Incorporate Mosaics Into Your Home
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
31 Ways To Keep Your Home Organized
16 Fun Ways You Can Use Food To Decorate Your Home
15 Decor Projects That Will Make Your Home Beautiful
13 Bird Feeders From Upcycled Items
23 Valentine's Day DIY Ideas That You Don't Want To Miss
15 Bathroom Upgrades That You Can Totally DIY
15 Unique Father's Day Crafts
Andrea

• Sheila

What about cleaning a marble fireplace

• Andrea

Sheila, It depends on what you are cleaning more than where it is. If it is etch marks, stains or rust. Or if you are just wanting to know what daily cleaner. I have got more details about cleaning each different thing over on the the blog post about this subject. Hacks for marble cleaning.

• Laurie

I have a marble topped vanity that someone has used the wrong cleaning products on. It’s drawn all the colors out of it and turned the top to mostly. Mottled gray color and white. Is there any way to restore the beautiful Rich golds and reds. blacks/browns back into it? Or is it ruined for good?

• Andrea

I made a mistake so I will fix it. I have always read not to use bleach even though it's not acidic. I have heard that you can use a small amount of ammonia, but I there is conflicting information on that.

• Lois
    18 minutes ago

Did not see a lot of difference from the picture. Will not be tryingthus