French Provincial Dresser

$280

I love bringing old pieces up to date. I wanted this piece to have a fresh new look that would fit in any space so I created a coastal gray color which turned out beautiful!

Sanding

I sanded the top down to Reveal the gorgeous wood grain. Isn’t it beautiful?

using my orbit hand sander, I completed the top of the dresser. I’m loving the gorgeous movement in the wood!

I wanted the grain to still stand out, so I made a whitewash which is one part paint, one part water. I just took a cloth and dipped it into the solution, then ran it along the top, then blended it in.

It allows the wood grain to still show and blends perfectly with my color choice.

I wanted to use the original hardware, so I painted them gray, then dry brushed them with the white wash to balance With the top. To finish, I waxed the whole piece with Varathane wax from Home Depot.

I actually mixed this color with black and white satin paint to create a coastal gray color.

Sometimes it’s easier to create your own gray’s by just using a simple black, black and pure white from Home Depot.

A fresh new look! I really enjoyed making this beauty over. Now it has a fresh new look ready for its new home!

18 String Art Ideas That You'll Want To Hang In Your Home
Inspirational Ideas for Spring Flowers
15 Ways To Upcycle And Create More Storage At The Same Time
Upgrade Your Backyard With These 30 Clever Ideas
Jazz Up Your Bathroom With These 30 Stylish Additions
15 Clever Ways To Repurpose Old Light Bulbs

• Jennifer Wright Bandy
    Jennifer Wright Bandy

What color was the base before you painted it?

• Linda
    Linda

Did you paint it first with the gray paint and then go over it with wax? It’s beautiful. I’ve wanted to start using wax on some pieces but am clueless about how to use it. Thanks for your post.

• Shelly Moore
      Shelly Moore

Usually when painting the primer goes first, then paint, topcoat, then finish with clear coat, epoxy, varnish or wax. I tried to get exactly the colors and look I wanted on a piece of wood I wanted to match our new flooring. I sanded, painted, light grey then white, latex paint. Kind of a mess! I then wiped it off in places with a wet cloth, kind of blending the two colors. I let it dry, sanded again in places where I wanted stain to show. Stained it lightly, wiped again, let dry, sanded, then added more stain and paint where needed. When I was kinda happy with it (it wasn't perfect😒) I let it dry Again!😊 Then used clear wax to make it a little more waterproof because I may put plants on it sometimes so don't want it to get water stained.

If you want to paint over stain, it doesn't always stick. 🙁

If you are going to stain, it really is made for Bare wood, sanded and if wanted you can use a wood conditioner to help old or new wood take stain and keep the wood from drying out so bad. It really does make a difference. Most stains don't really need a topcoat, poly or varnish on top of it, unless it is for looks or durability or it's gonna be outside.

Now there are so many different products it gets confusing.