Scrap Wood Spice Rack

$12

I tried growing veggies this summer and to my surprise, I had some decent success! As a result of that, I’ve been trying to be more creative in the kitchen. I made a few spices from my hot peppers and also bought new spices for various recipes. Before long, my spice cupboard was out of control! Finding what I wanted was starting to get frustrating, so I decided it was time to get organized!

Before

The first thing I did was look for glass spice jars to use for my homemade spices and for the ones I bought in bags. I found some at a local hardware store and picked up a dozen. 

I measured the new jars, as well as the average size of the jars I already had. Then I measured the cupboard and headed out to the garage to see what I could find. I found a few pieces that would work perfectly for my plan!

Scrap wood

I cut out two end pieces and two shelves using a jigsaw. Because the new jars were a lot shorter, I decided to make the first two rows of spices taller and the top shelf closer to the top of the cabinet. 

I made my end piece cuts at 4” high and 3” deep. The overall height would be 8.5” and the shelves 3” deep.

Cut

Then I sanded down the pieces with an orbital sander to remove any splinters and also to smooth out any of my rough cuts. I’m not very experienced using a jigsaw so my cuts are far from perfect. Sanding really helped!

Sanded

Then I screwed my shelves on to the end pieces. I did two screws on each end. I drilled pilot holes first to avoid splitting the wood.

Assembled

I considered staining the wood, but decided to keep in simple and sprayed it with a clear coat to help protect it.

Clear coat

Then I transferred all my bagged spices and the ones I made into the new jars and labelled them.

Filling new jars

Then I put the shelf inside the cupboard and placed all my spices on it.  

Before & after

I really love how organized my spices are now! A couple of the taller jars I placed on their side and slid them under the rack. Everything fits perfectly! It’s almost like I planned it or something. 😉

I didn't spend any money on the shelf and paid $12 for the glass jars. I think that was a pretty good investment for a customized solution! And this simple shelving concept can be tailored to fit any space!

3 Cute Step-by-Step Ideas For Unique Planters
Live Life In Color With These Amazing Ideas For Your Home
13 DIY Projects That Scream Canada
15 Perfectly Round Tables
21 Small Things You Can Do to Beautify Your Home This Weekend
25 Beautiful Things You Can Make With Rope & Twine
16 Fun Ways You Can Use Food To Decorate Your Home
Hometalk's Top 10 Spookiest Halloween Picks Of 2017
30 Address Signs That'll Make Your Neighbors Stop in Admiration
Turn Dollar Store Laundry Basket Into Wreath Form In 8 Easy Steps

• Peabutton's Mom

I don't know WHY I've never seen those little jars as spice jars. LOL! Guess I'm too focused on storing beads and tiny craft supplies. Will the plastic shaker lids from store bought spices fit the little glass jars and the screw on lid fit on it too? I'm thinking the inner flat shaker.

• DSanders

Valerie,

I think you did a great job, it looks well organized! Nice and neat. Someone mentiond having/or not having a covering, a door, correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems to me that you have the sort of pull top doors, to cover the front? You've seem to have thought this project out very well. 🎉I appreciate you sharing your information!!!🎉🎊

Once again, it is really nicely done!

Thank you!

Have a blessed day!😃

• Valerie Burge

Thank you. 💕! Mine is in a pantry cupboard, nowhere near the stove . And it has a door. I guess I forgot to mention that in my post. I was focused on the shelf, which is what my post was about. Some people thought it was in the cupboard above my stove. It's not. You have a blessed day too, my friend. :). Xo.

• Ann11563

I bought a three tiered plastic spice stand in HomeGoods. It is inexpensive and adjustable regarding width.

• Etta L

Very nice idea. I enjoy making things from solid wood pieces rather than buying them, so this is a project I will definitely do for my pantry and maybe my sewing room. Thank you for sharing.

• Terre Tulsiak

Good way to use scraps and cutoffs also.