How to Dry a Hydrangea the Easy Way

$10

Looking for ways to dry your hydrangea blooms? With a few methods out there, there is one method I use All. The. Time.

Why?

Because it’s the easiest. And I’m sharing it with you today.

How to Dry a Hydrangea the Easy Way

As we head into fall, the growing season will start winding down. Learning how to dry a hydrangea is a great way to preserve your garden during the winter months and add beautiful decor to your home.

Step 1 - Let the Blooms Dry Naturally on the Plants first
  • Allow the blooms to dry naturally on the plants (typically in August through October). They are ready when the petals look a little more vintage than bright and the flowers might feel a little papery.
Step 2 - Make Your Cuts
  • Find some pretty blooms that meet this criteria and cut about 12-18″ long if you can. Cut them at varying heights. It helps with the drying process when grouped together.
Step 3 - Remove All Leaves

• Remove all the leaves from the stems.
  • Immediately Drop in Water

Step 4 - Fill Jars with 2-3" of Water and Drop Blooms In

• Grab a few glass jars or vases. I love to use mason jars for drying hydrangeas.
  • Fill each jar with about 2-3″ of water.
  • To dry hydrangeas well, don’t overcrowd the blooms in the jars so the get enough air circulation.

As the water evaporates, the hydrangea blooms will start naturally drying. And that’s it!

Drying hydrangea flowers could not be any easier.

Dried hydrangeas look great in home decor, wreaths, bouquets and other craft projects. For best results, keep them out of direct light and humidity.

Once dry, they will make great hydrangea centerpieces. I have a few ideas for the vintage toolbox I’ve been using in my dining room.

For more Hydrangea tips and tricks, CLICK HERE.

31 Clever Ideas To Reuse Muffin Pans And Cupcake Liners
The Best Industrial Style DIY Ideas For Your Home Using Pipes
15 Perfectly Round Tables
31 Tricks To Help You Fix The Wood In Your Home:
18 Ideas to Keep You From Feeling Blue
Does Your Staircase Need an Update?
15 Cute Ways To Decorate Tin Cans Into Planters
Stacy Ling | Bricks 'n Blooms

• Dee
    Dee

I just cut them when I want and hang them upside down for a couple of days and then you have beautiful dried vibrant colored hydrangeas

• Katherine Howard Jones
    Katherine Howard Jones

I did this by accident. I brought a vase full to my office and didn't know they'd dry naturally. I didnt add water and while away a week I came back to perfectly dried Hydrangeas. I was able to keep them several years in same vase. I'd lose a bit when I blew dust off them.