Think Twice Before You Throw Out That Ugly Old Vase

$15

I have had an ugly green vase siting in my basement for years. I have thought about throwing it out a few time’s, but for some reason I never did.

Something just kept telling me to hold onto it. And I’m SO HAPPY I did.

When I decided to give this vase new life, I honestly went into the project blind. I had no set plan. All I know is I had some drywall compound left over in my garage and I wanted to use it up.

I had no idea If it would stick to the vase or crumble as it dried and all fall off. But, I gave it a go and I’m blown away by how amazing this vase makeover turned out.

Follow along with me and I will show you how I took a ugly old vase and turned it into a high end looking decor piece.

The before

It’s amazing how we evolve over time. How our style evolves. I remember when I bought this I loved it. But over time it got moved into my basement, and then into my storage room. When I look at it all I think is, “I can’t believe I paid money for that” . It needed new life, so that what I gave it.

Materials needed

• drywall compound
  • chalk paint in chiffon cream
  • mirror effect gold
  • Putty knife

(you can do whatever color you chose)

Let’s get started!

Honestly, this project is so easy. Just use your putty knife to apply compound all over the vase in random directions to create a textured look.

I taped off about 2” from the top, do this before you start to apply the compound. I didn’t in the video but should have. I didn’t want compound to get on the neck since I was going to spray paint that a different color.

once I had the surface of the vase covered, I went over and smoothed out a few spots where the compound looked really thick.

i took the tape off the top before i left the vase to dry.

I decided to let the vase dry naturally. I was tempted to put a fan on it to speed up the process but I was worried The fan would cause it to dry to fast and it would all crack and fall off.

the total drying time will vary with how thick your compound was applied but mine took just over 2 days to dry.

Time for some paint

After it was completely dry, I re taped off the top. So I could spray the base. I used a color called “chiffon cream”

*if I was to do this project again I would paint the top first before I applied the plaster*

Okay, so I know this set up isn’t the prettiest, but I didn’t know how else to protect the bottom when I sprayed the top. So I just used some painters tape and a plastic bag to protect the bottom.

I sprayed the top of my vase with the gold mirrored effect.

Once everything is dry, take the tape off.

Stand back and admire your masterpiece

Such a simple DIY with such amazing results. This vase went from and old dingy green to a expensive looking textured creamy gold decor piece.

I am so happy this turned out, and even better than I could have imagined.

Thanks for following along with me and I hope you enjoyed this simple DIY.

Don’t forget to follow along with me on here, HOMETALK and well as INSTAGRAM and Pinterest

Cannot wait for our next DIY together

xo

Amber

30 Address Signs That'll Make Your Neighbors Stop in Admiration
Cut Up Some Pallets For These 20 Amazing Ideas
13 Bird Feeders From Upcycled Items
16 Floating Shelves That Will Stun Guests
15 Ways to Spice up Your Floors
31 Brilliant Ways To Repurpose Everyday Items Into Perfect Organizers
Dollar Store Gem Backsplash
3 Gorgeous & Easy Projects to Help You Decorate for Fall
15 Amazing Projects To Help Make Your Home Look Fabulous
24 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
These West Elm Knockoffs Are Pretty Unbelievable