Asked on Sep 19, 2020

Command strips: why do they pull the paint off when I remove them?

Maura WhiteHolly Lengner - Lost MomKathy Gunter Law
+11

• They shouldn't. I'm wondering if the paint wasn't fully cured prior to applying the Command Strip.

• Vimarhonor

Hello are you describing a painted wall or another surface?

• Cindy

This is the first time I have ever heard of this. Command strips are generally a great product. You could try calling the manufacturing company for an answer to your question. Their contact information should be on the back of the packaging. Good luck Dalkhaira.

• Flipturn

Unfortunately, sometimes this happens, simply due to the adherence of the sticky backing to the paint being stronger than the bond of the paint to whatever it has been painted on.

It is a common misconception that Command hooks do not leave any markings or damage when they are removed. They are not guaranteed to not do this. The claim to fame from Command hooks is that it is possible to affix a hook to a wall without drilling a hole into the surface.

• Peggy Burnette

Hi this is Peggy. I hope this will help you find out why the command strips pulled your paint off.

7 Ways You've Been Using Command Strips All Wrong

tiphero.com › misusing-command-hooks

Have you been using your Command hooks correctly? ... on the wall and call it a day, but you could be risking the life of the product if you do! So, instead of hurrying, simply wipe the surface off with a few swipes of rubbing alcohol ... glass, tile, painted cinder block, plaster, metal, and painted wallboard— but everything else?

Hi Daikhaira: Probably because you aren't taking them off properly or maybe the paint is really a thin coat. Sometimes the surface is weak and the Command Strip glue is too strong. It happens :(

• Cynthia H

Hi! I find if I really stretch it when I remove the strip, it breaks the seal without damaging the paint. Good luck and stay safe!

• Redcatcec

I agree with Flipturn, the Command Strip has a stronger bond to the paint than the paint to the surface it is on. That being said, I lost a gorgeous plate because of this. I went to take off the second set of Command Strips with the next plate, and it pulled the paint off the wall too, only that plate was safe. To remove them in the future, I would take the Command Strip down with the help of a hairdryer to melt the glue.

• Mogie

This usually means to use a solvent that will break down the adhesive, but not the surface of your wall. They sell stuff to do this, usually called something like Goo-Gone. Another solvent that often works is rubbing alcohol. It evaporates quickly, and does not attack paint, although it will harm some surfaces like shellac. Always test any solvent on a small, inconspicuous spot before using it. And watch out for fumes, so use good ventilation.

• Morgan McBride

They are the woooorst

• Kathy Gunter Law

It must be the finish on the walls, like flat. I’ve never had this issue and I’ve used for many years.

• Holly Lengner - Lost Mom

When I pulled the command hooks directly off, they would peel the paint sometimes, but never if I pulled the sticky tab down until it broke free from the wall.

• Maura White

This has happened to me a lot - it does more likely happen on flat paint.