Asked on Sep 20, 2020

How do you remove leftover glue

Kim  |Exquisitely UnremarkableKathy Gunter LawNormia dawson
+16

I wanted to ask how do you remove the sticky film after you have peeled the label off a jar.

• Peanut butter! Spread it over the residue and let it sit. Wash it away with soap and water.

• Vimarhonor

Hello. My favorite solution to remove adhesive is lighter fluid. It has the perfect tiny tip to apply very little solution. Use a kleenex to wipe it off. Sometimes using the depleted gift card or credit card as a scraper or even safety razor can be helpful too depending how thick the glue residue is.

• Dawn

Rubbing alcohol or just soak it in hot soapy water and scrub off with a brush.

• Peggy Burnette

Hi Connie, I put coconut oil over the film and let it sit about 10 to 15 minutes. Works great.

Hi Connie: Goof Off or WD40 is good, so is butter :) Just leave whatever you use on for a couple of minutes to let it work and then rub with a dry paper towel and then wash with soap and water. This should do it.

• Cynthia H

Hi! I keep Goo Gone under my sink for that. Good luck and stay safe!

• Laurene

alcohol

• Flipturn

A little vegetable or canola oil on a small piece paper towel or cotton ball.

You will also need a good grease-cutting dishwashing soap to wash off any oil residue that may remain after the label sticky stuff has come off, but there should be no problem if you are washing a glass jar.

• Johnavallance82

Hello there,

Try WD-40 or Surgical Spirit!

• Unexpected Elegance

WD-40 or Goo Gone works!

• Redcatcec

It depends what is on hand and readily available, I have used peanut butter, canola oil, cooking spray, mayonnaise...I try to stay away from the chemical solvents.

• Seth

Whatever you use, fill the jar with hot water. The heat will soften the adhesive and make it easier to remove. If it is a small label, I roll the adhesive up with my thumb by rubbing in one direction and then pluck it off.

• Annie

Have you tried GooBeGone? It works great I think I got mine at Home Depot

• Dee

I use goof off or acetone from Home Depot not nail polish remover

• Connie Giardina

thanks everyone fo all the suggestions

• Morgan McBride

Oil!

• Normia dawson

FIRST COMPLETLY SUBMERGE IN HOT WATER . DO THIS TILL THE GLUE LOOSENS. WORK ON GETTING ALL THE PAPER OFF YOU CAN EACH TIME ,pour VERY HOT WATER IN AND LET IT STAND TILL ITS STILL HOT BUT HAS COOLED ENOUGH YO HANDLE THE JAR,REPEAT TILL ITS ALL OFF. OR YOU CAN BUY "GLUE BE GONE"

• Kathy Gunter Law

I use vegetable oil. Rub it on and continue to rub in a circular motion. Once the "sticky" is gone, run through the dishwasher or hand wash in hot water with a grease cutting detergent like blue Dawn.