Anthro Inspired Fabric Wine Rack

$15

I saw a gorgeous, wall-mounted, woven wine rack at Anthropologie. Sadly, shipping anything internationally is expensive, so I decided to make my own. My version is made from a fabric table runner and has a couple of extra storage pockets. It can be sewn by hand and is pretty foolproof even for sweaty-handed, non-sewers such as myself.

Find a runner, matching thread and strong pipe

The Anthro wine rack version I saw consists of a long jute bag which is narrower than a wine bottle. My woven cotton table runner is wider than a bottle but you could always trim yours to be narrower. Since I don't own a sewing-machine or overlocker, I just went with what I had. The dappled fabric is very forgiving but the stripes have both pro's and con's. The pro being that the stripes act as a guide to help you to sew straight - I didn't even use pins. The con is that it accentuates the shape of curvy bottles and if you don't sew straight it really shows when you put the bottles in. However, if you have but a smidgen of seamstress in you (or just own a machine!) this should not be a problem at all. Also, the firmer the fabric the straighter the final product will hang. Choose thread that blends in with the fabric and that will camoflage any imperfections.

You will also need a strong pipe. I'm not sure whether a wooden dowel or PVC pipe would carry the weight, so I used a metal pipe that I spray painted. An old broomstick might also work.

Sew a couple of lines

I am the last person to give sewing lessons! All I can tell you is not to use a hand-sewn running stitch (not strong enough) and that I used a double thread and something that could perhaps be described a hemming stitch - anything that gives you a row of strong stitches that will bear the weight of the bottles. A sewing machine would obviously work even better.

Fold the runner in half so that you have two layers on top of each other. (See picture under Step 1 which shows this halfway). Now decide how many bottles the runner can take, making allowances for the rod at the top and the weight of the bottles. Take an actual rod and bottle and decide how much space you need for each - rather too loose than too tight.

My stitches look like this (note carefully cropped shot showing only the best, straightest section and nothing of the back ).

Make the pocket

I didn't want to add too many bottles so decided to make a handy pocket for a bottle opener. I folded the bottom of the top layer back onto itself and sewed the sides as is pictured by the dashed line above and in the stitch shown below.

I then added a stitch or two where the X's are shown above. Initially I only did one in the middle but found that the pocket fell forward when I put something in, so I would advise that you rather go for two stitches. But this also depends on what fabric you are using.

Side stitches

This is what the completed pocket looks like from the side. It is separate from the back layer.

Add tassels

Sew some tassels to the very bottom corners. I had made some tassels especially for my wine rack, here is the tutorial.

https://www.hometalk.com/44336020/scandi-rope-tassels

I just clamped the large jump rings directly to the fabric so that the wooden tassels could be easily removed when washing the fabric at a later stage.

Add the pole and hang

I threaded the pole through and added some strong rawl- bolted hooks to the wall.

Arrange the bottles

Since my bag is wider than the bottles I simply arranged the bottles with the necks sticking out in alternate directions. You can just see the bottle opener sticking out of the pocket.

3 Simple Green Ways To Clean In Your Home
15 Perfectly Round Tables
30 Jaw-Dropping Decorating Techniques You've Never Seen Before
14 DIY Must-Haves For All Camping Trips
20 Ways To Improve Your Drop Cloth
Do Your Kitchen Cabinets Need an Update?
15 Unbelievable Ways People Paint Their Walls
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
18 Wintery Wreath Ideas That You'll Want To Make For Your Home
15 Fun Things You Can Make Using Your Cricut
15 Awesome Projects To Get You Ready For St. Patrick's Day

• Anne Gleeson

Oh, and the tassels and hooks- wonderful style and balance!!!

• Thea

Thats an interesting observation. Thank you.

• Tracy Marie Robinson

Im definitely going to do this but as I don't drink I'm going to make it for toilet rolls to hang in my small downstairs toilet room