10 Minute Bird Feeder

$10

Yes! You read that correctly! 10 minutes.... or less to make a super cute “rustic” bird feeder! And there are no special tools required!

You will need:

1. mason jar
  2. stainless steel chick drinker
  3. chain plant hanger
  4. hammer and nail
  5. bird seed

Gather supplies

After verifying that the bird seed would fit through the holes in the stainless steel base I opted to use that one instead of the yellow plastic one, though you could use the plastic type if you wanted!

Punch holes

I just used a simple nail and hammer to punch 3 holes around the outer edge of the base for the clips to hang onto.

Line them up

This particular base is technically a chick drinker, so the holes are in the bottom, I just lined up the holes around the edge with the holes where the seed will come up to avoid having to make any measurements. I also added holes to the bottom where the bird seed will sit for drainage of rain water, I didn’t get a photo, but I just used the hammer and nail again for this.

Attach clips

Clip the clips of the chains to the holes you’ve added. I get these chain plant hangers from the dollar tree! With it being toward the end of summer they may be out of stock, but they always sell jute twine in the hardware section, that would also work well for this project, I would suggest double or triple threads of twine if opting for that just for strength and weathering.

Fill it up

If using a drinker attachment, you’ll want to make sure you get seed small enough to fit through the holes, larger seed would likely clog the holes. Might not be ideal for sunflower seeds or anything, but the wild bird seed mix I had worked well for this!

Hang up and enjoy!

How easy was that! We’ve had more birds in our yard this year than ever and I’ve enjoyed watching them from the dinning table! Hope you enjoyed this easy project and have a wonder week!

15 Memorial Day Crafts
15 Clever Repurposing Ideas That Will Add Some Creativity to Your Home
Keep Your Craft Supplies Organized With These Fun Storage Ideas
22 Homemade Soaps You Can Give As Gifts All Year Round
Valentine's Day Is Getting Closer! Get Ready With These Lovely Ideas
The Wonderful Things You Can Make With...Paper!

• Barbara Fryer Conover

Do use a gal to 1/2 gal jug? Can you use a plastic pretzel jug?

• Krista Clouse

I raise chickens. The mouth would have to be a small mouth, and I don’t believe the half gallon size is a small mouth. But you can use whatever would fit a small mouth mason jar lid.

• Dahliaqueen

What is a chick drinker? For chickens? Or a cool chick? Very interesting. But l have to find a place accessible for me to fill with seed, but NOT accessible for the squirrels!

• Red's Rustic Rehab

Yes, it’s for chickens :) they also sell a plastic jar To go with it at the Fred stores. I get mine at tractor supply!