Asked on Sep 20, 2020

Any suggestions ?

DebbieAgnes ChrzanowskaHappy Days Hometalker
+17

So this is the small bathroom in my new rental. I don’t hate the faucet. The light fixture surround is a bit much but it sorta “matches” I guess. The towel rack....not so much. I can’t remove/replace anything but if I just make something look cohesive with the other two....maybe it won’t be noticed by you-know-who.

• Janice

Colorful towels on the towel rack will divert attention away from the chrome towel bar. Once they are hanging on the bar, it will barely be visible.

• FrugalFamilyTimes.com

Often landlords will let you change out light fixtures etc as long as you change them back when you leave.

Hi Debbie: Seems as though the towel bar is the only thing that doesn't match. I agree, if you put towels on it, it will barely show. However, if it really bothers you, ask your landlord if you can change it out with something you really like and replace the original one when you vacate.

Good luck

• Cindy

I would buy a towel bar the same size as the one you have now. Install the new one, but keep the old one. Change it back before you move out.

• Flipturn

I would dissuade you from removing this towel bar and trying to replace it with another one, even if it is 'temporary' for the time that you are renting.

First of all you do not know what type of hardware is holding the rod on the wall. Chances are the wall will crack around the site, or the paint will peel off to some degree when you attempt to remove the hardware. Secondly, your walls are textured, which are considerably harder to repair than plain drywall, once damage has occurred, even if it is only 'little holes from a towel bar'.

You may be opening a can of worms by doing so.

• Kathy Gunter Law

Keep a towel on the towel holder that ties into bathroom scheme and you won’t notice so much that it doesn’t match.

• Cynthia H

I think with some fluffy bath towels and attractive guest towels it won't be noticeable. Good luck and stay safe!

• Johnavallance82

Hello Debbie,

My suggestion is to add more item that are the same finish as the Towel Rail on the Bath area or around so it doesn't draw the eye as odd! Easily sorted!!

• Redcatcec

I see what you mean, took me a second look to get the picture.

You can pretty up the bathroom with accessories, shower curtain, matching towels, mirror garland.

Maybe ask the landlord where he got the towel bar, offer to buy it in the gold tone and ask him if you can substitute it out. He maybe oblivious to the mismatch, not everyone has interior design in mind. Nothing to loose by asking, the worst he can say is no, but you tried. Then decorate to your best.

• Unique Creations By Anita

I would just replace the towel bar or one in the colour you want. Make sure you keep the old one to put it back when you leave.

• Holly Lengner - Lost Mom

Ask your landlord if you could spray paint the towel rack to match or replace it and then change it back when you move out.

• Dee

I would ask the landlord if you can change it out. Many times they will let you do that if you leave it there.

But if not, just got some nice fluffy towels. No one will notice.

• Cheryl A

Before doing anything I would ask the landlord. If you are planning to upgrade the light and towel bar then not sure why he would mind. But best to ask first before spending time and money. You can buy light fixtures at Home depot and Lowes for cheap and also you could spray paint (rusteloum has a great paint for this) the towel bar

• Flipturn

When trying to replace a towel rod, if it has been mounted with drywall anchors, rarely in my experience has the hole not been stripped/damaged to some extent when the anchor comes out. It usually needs to be shored up to some degree first before the new anchor goes in, or else the new holes for the replacement towel rod need to be repositioned all together.

• Maura White

I agree that you could either buy a new towel holder and replace it with the original when you move. Or cover it with towels and no one will hardly notice!

• Happy Days Hometalker

Use silver and gold for accent pieces.

• Agnes Chrzanowska

if yu are going to use big bowl that towel rack is not going to show

• Debbie

Well “update”

I decided that I would move the towel rack to other side of room where there would actually be proper space for a bath towel to hang and be able to actually dry. (Right now it’s about 12” above the toilet. 🙄) And I was going to paint it an aged gold color. However! I can find no way to remove it from where it is. There are no tiny lil screws on the side. I have no idea how it was put up!! So for now....guess I have to get over myself!

Thank you all for your ideas and suggestions.

• Debbie

I know!!! There isn’t!!! It’s THE weirdest thing ever!! I know you may think I’m just not seeing them- but I went around each one w a flashlight. They aren’t there!!!