A Rusty Barrel Gets a New Look--all Because of a Dog

$6

My Great Pyrenees kept getting out under our gate. If you know about Great Pyrs, they will not come when called unless they want to. The dogs run along the fence line whenever people are walking their dogs, or riding bikes, or just jogging. When she went out twice and didn't come to me I knew I had to do something.

Components

Here's what I came up with to create a blockage to keep the dog in. A rusty barrel and some very heavy concrete pieces.

Trial run

Looks like it will work!

Make things pretty

I decided to paint the barrel and concrete blocks to match my gate and not have it look so tacky. We live on a country road but that doesn't mean we shouldn't look pretty! I used one can of rustoleum black primer and two cans of .99 flat black paint. I painted our John Deere green gate using the same paint and it holds up great. While I was at it, I painted the purple plastic tub we use for packages left by USPS or fedex/ups.

Tweaking

Once paint dried overnight I decided to add address numbers and a reflector. I had these items for years! The reflector was in a white frame so I painted that as well. I used E6000 (maybe a bit too much because I got some slipping and a few drips which need to be addressed). Some silk flowers at the base and I'm thinking not too shabby. I will have a place for packages on top of the barrel which turns out to be an extra bonus. No packages down in the dirt!

Lucia the Culprit

She started it all!

If you would like to see what I did with the lid to this barrel go to link below.

• Paint  (big box store)
  • Old barrel  (on hand)

How To: Make Hot Glue Placemats + More Crafts Ideas!
Copy One Of These Lovely Lattice Ideas For Your Home
Add A Hint Of Farmhouse Style In Your Home With These Ideas

To see more: https://www.hometalk.com/44345433/sunshine-and-rust-in-the-garden

• Cindy
    Cindy

It looks like a good bit of planning went into this fix ! Love the sign! We have some of each of those breeds!

• Lovesunique
      Lovesunique

Thanks. I worked it out in my head about the barrel and concrete and later the idea of the address numbers came. Ha, ha...yes that sign covers many breeds!

• C Sue Upton Rauscher
    C Sue Upton Rauscher

Love this new addition...Granddaughter has a Great Pyrs. Too!! He is a big teddybear!! Love the sign too!! Where did you get your sign? I have those breeds too!!

• Lovesunique
      Lovesunique

Hi Sue. Thanks for stopping by. The sign I purchased years ago online. I first saw one at a county fair and then did a google search. Got another bonus out of this project: another spot to decorate!