Stenciled Accent Wall (Looks Like Wallpaper. Costs Way Less.)

$55

When I redesigned my master bedroom last year I knew the wall behind the bed needed something a little extra. I initially wanted to DIY an accent wall but thought quickly realized that wallpaper would be too pricey.But a stenciled accent wall is both affordable and easy to DIY.In this post, I’m going to teach you how to stencil an accent wall, for 1/5 the cost of most wallpaper.

Paint the wall

First, you’ll paint the wall the color you’d like for the background. Even if you’re keeping the wall the same color, I still recommend a fresh coat of paint for the best results.The reason? It may be more beat up than you think, and the last thing you want is to notice after you’ve already started stenciling. It’s too late at that point unless you want to start over!Be sure to tape off the adjacent walls so no paint migrates over. A simple line of painter’s tape will do in a pinch, but I like the coverage that the Tape and Drape gives. I got a little sloppy with the stencil at the corners and it saved me from a mess.

Locate the center of the wall

When stenciling an accent wall, you need to start from the center of the wall, moving top to bottom, then alternating left and right. Locate the centerline of the wall. Then, using painter’s tape, and secure the stencil at the top of the wall, directly centered over your imaginary line.

Level the stencil

Check your stencil with a level. It’s most important that the stencil is level vertically. Most houses, even new ones like mine, tend to settle and the horizontal planes become slightly tilted.When it comes to pattern, you ALWAYS want the vertical to be straight. If the horizontal is noticeably out of level, just cheat the stencil up a bit so the lowest point is flush with the ceiling and the high point overlaps a bit.

Roll on your stencil paint

Pour the pattern color into a paint tray and with a small foam roller, begin to roll the paint onto the stencil. Coat the roller with paint from the tray, then pass the loaded roller lightly over a folded paper towel to remove the excess paint. This technique is called dry rolling and will prevent your paint from bleeding under the stencil. It feels like a lot of paint is wasted, but it’s a necessary step that is well worth doing for the best results.

Once you’ve completely painted your stencil, reposition it directly below the part you just painted. Most stencils will have registration marks that help you precisely position your stencil each time.

Here are some helpful hints:

• Always have a few strips of painters tape torn off and stuck nearby so you can quickly and easily grab one as your tape inevitably loses stickiness through repeated repositioning.
  • Always work from top to bottom. When you finish a row, move to the left and start at the top again. When you finish that row, move over to the right and start at the top again. Repeat until complete!
  • Periodically wash your stencil. You’ll know you need to because the holes will start to clog with paint. The larger the pattern in your stencil, the less frequently you’ll need to wash it.
  • When you reach a corner, either bend the stencil to access the corner or, if you won’t be reusing it, cut it to fit. Some people will gasp at that, but it definitely makes life easier!

Touch up

Using a small brush or cotton swab, go in and touch up the paint. A few of my dots were a little faint and small in spots I had trouble getting flush to the wall or when I didn’t wash my stencil soon enough. I simply dabbed paint on those spots and all was well.

Your accent wall is complete!

Your wall is done and looking gorgeous. Can you believe how much less that cost than doing wallpaper? Same look, 1/5 the price.So what do you think? Would you give this project a try? If you love DIY and are looking to decorate your home on a budget, be sure to check out my full collection of DIY posts!

18 Wintery Wreath Ideas That You'll Want To Make For Your Home
15 Memorial Day Crafts
15 Cute Ways To Decorate Tin Cans Into Planters
3 Brilliant Ideas How to Use Photo Frames
3 Super Cool Marbelizing Techniques Everyone's Trying!
Instantly Upgrade Your Living Space With These Amazing DIY Ideas
30 Great Mason Jar Ideas You Have To Try
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
Keep Your Craft Supplies Organized With These Fun Storage Ideas
30 Gorgeous Ways To Keep Your Home Organized
31 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
Cuddling Up At Home With A Bottle Of Wine? Then Try These Projects!
Brianna at Bloom in the Black