Asked on Sep 21, 2020

Do I need to se polyurethane after painting furniture ?

Lindsay AratariJune FrederickLauren of Mom Home Guide
+11

• Dee

That depends on how used the furniture is and what you painted it with. Polyurethane will turn yellow, so anything light colored is a big NO. You can use either polyacrylic which is water based or Lacquer. If you painted with chalk paint, you need to either wax or put some sort of protection on it . I like General Finishes Top coat.

If you used oil based paint you do not have to top coat.

• GrandmasHouseDIY

Hi there, I would use a couple of coats of polycrylic as opposed to polyurethane. Polycrylic is water based and will still provide good protection. Polyurethane is oil based, takes a long time to dry, and will eventually yellow whatever furniture piece you put it on. Hope that helps!

• Kathy Gunter Law

I only add polyurethane on furniture that has high wear and tear, like a table. One thing to note is that polyurethane also adds a yellow tint, especially to light colors, so you might want to go with a water based polyvine type product.

• Redcatcec

Polycrylic is the way to go, water based, polyurethane will give a yellow tint over time, it that is ok with you and the color you prefer, then go with that. Here is a link comparing polycrylic vs polyurethane:

https://www.bobvila.com/articles/polycrylic-vs-polyurethane/

• Vimarhonor

Hello. Normally I put poly acrylic on my painted furniture pieces. It comes in spray and brush paint on formulations. On rarer occasions I have spray-painted chairs and not sealed them.

Hi Donna: It depends on where the furniture is. If it's outside, I'd say yes. But, if it's inside, I wouldn't necessarily. You can give it a good coat of wax, or just leave it as is.

Here are a couple sites that may help:

https://homeguides.sfgate.com/use-polyurethane-over-latex-paint-34196.html

https://repairart.net/best-clear-coat-over-latex-paint

https://wigglywisdom.com/can-you-put-polyurethane-over-paint/

Good luck

• Mogie

Polyurethane is a tremendous product in terms of sealing and protecting wood. It's fairly forgiving in terms of application and will look good if you brush it, roll it or spray it. It comes in a variety of lusters, so you can use it to adjust the sheen of your finished piece.

If a polyurethane coat is applied over painted furniture, the paint will be thoroughly protected from scratches, dings and wear. A coat of poly can make your painted furniture look as good as new for a long time.

Another benefit is the ability of polyurethane to be polished. Sometimes painted furniture can look somewhat amateurish However, if you put a thick coat of polyurethane and let it cure, you can wet-sand the coat flat, and polish it with polishing compound to the exact shine you want. This process is what makes professional furniture look so fabulous; but you can accomplish it at home by polishing your poly coat with Ajax or Comet cleaning powder and water.

The main argument against using polyurethane to protect your painted furniture comes into play if you ever plan to repaint the furniture. Polyurethane, especially oil-based polyurethane, does not allow other paint to stick to it very well. To repaint, you may have to rough up the surface, or strip it entirely.

Also, oil-based polyurethane takes a while to dry. In this time, it must be protected from dust that may mar its finish. Water-based poly dries much faster, but you need many more coats to achieve the level of protection oil-based affords.

• Johnavallance82

Hello Donna,

Well you will need to seal it some how, depending on what it is and how it will be used.

Alternative to Polyurethane would be Wax - Clear or Antique!

• K. Rupp

You can seal with polycrylic sealer over paint. It doesn't have to be polyurethane. Poly can yellow over time more.

I also use cabinet paint to paint furniture and I don't even need a sealer!!! It is heavy duty paint that won't chip or wear.

Consider using a home paint sprayer for the job to get that super sleek pro finish. A great paint that will last is what you want. Benjamin Moore ADVANCE!! $50 per gallon but it's so worth it!!! That paint is an excellent cabinet paint and you don't need a topcoat. I seriously just wipe it down when it gets dirty.

Good luck!

• Maura White

You do need to seal - but I'd go with a clear spray paint. Poly can turn yellow - I've learned that the hard way!

• Lauren of Mom Home Guide

Check with the company from which you purchased the paint. Many of them would probably suggest a topcoat for you. You could also try calling a paint store.

• June Frederick

not with chalk paint just use a wax on it that is recommended

• Lindsay Aratari

You could use polycrylic or wax too