Asked on Sep 21, 2020

How to change my bathroom floor that is torginol?

Lauren of Mom Home GuideDeeHolly Lengner - Lost Mom
+9

My bathroom currently has a torginol flooring that is not the smoothest finish due to lack of expertise of installers. It is base white with beige gold lite brown & gold flecks. Typical of mid 70’s colors as it was laid in 77! I am so tired of this color scheme! I am disabled so I need a change that can be done in stages so I can rest when needed! My bathroom is VERY small & narrow. I would appreciate any advice , especially low priced ideas.

Thx

Bonnie.

• Kathy Gunter Law

Since it's from the 70's, there's a good chance of asbestos so I wouldn't thing of trying to remove it. You can put sheet vinyl directly on top but after a while it will have the bumpy finish show through. The biggest issue with that would be keeping it clean.

You could put down thin, luan plywood and then put either sheet vinyl or peel & stick. If you go peel & stick, I would advise you to use additional glue. For some reason, it tends to come up easily if it gets any moisture at all and since it's a bathroom you have a bigger chance.

• Pat and Kay

What can be done is do a skim-coat, like Ardex Feather Finish to smooth it out. That's the first step after cleaning it. In most cases the floor would be primed. Then install new floorcovering over it.

All you want to achieve is getting the "subfloor" nice and smooth so that it doesn't telegraph into the new floorcovering.

Sheet vinyl is coming to the end of its days and while you can still purchase and install it, what's better than that is LVP (Luxury Vinyl Plank) or Tile (LVT) because what you are then purchasing is a .080 to 1/8" thickness flooring that's both waterproof and extremely durable, plus its thickness will also help negate any imperfections (not all, you still need to smooth it out like any floorcovering) in the subfloor.

• Pat and Kay

You Can install a free floating LVP over it, or even glue it down! If you are in the Panama City Florida Area, Call 850-628-0785

• Cindy

Hi there Bonnie. My name is Cindy. When we moved into our current house, the floor in the bathroom was terrible. We decided to put down peel-and-stick tiles as a temporary solution until we could afford better. Our budget was very tight because we just purchased a house. Putting them down was very easy. We put them down right over that ugly old tile. Here we are five years later and that peel-and-stick tile still looks like new. I think you could do the same. Good luck Bonnie.

Hi Bonnie: Here's what I found that might be helpful:

"A vinyl plank (LVP) floor MIGHT be able to go over this (floating = not glued; not nailed; not stapled; just clicked together and "sitting" there). Vinyl plank HATES wavy. Hates it! So much so, you would be better off peeling this off the floor and then grinding down the humps and bumps and then floating vinyl over top.

A vinyl plank floor is so sensitive to waviness, it will "unzip" at the seams if there is too many bumps in the subfloor. This is why you have to have the flatness assessed properly before deciding what is a possibility here. A floating cork floor (with some underlay) could handle your floor. A thick laminate floor (12mm or thicker with underlay), while not RECOMMENDED for kitchens, could go over top of the torginol.

One of the few floors that MIGHT go down without any work = sheet vinyl or sheet lino. To find out your options, you will need to contact a WELL VERSED flooring store (look for a local company/store that has been doing flooring for 25+ years...stay away from big box stores...they won't know enough to deal with this)."

Good luck

• Dee

I think the easiest way for you to change your bathroom floor is with peel and stick tiles. Home Depot and Lowes has a nice selection

• Lauren of Mom Home Guide

You should be able to tile over the floor. You would need to degloss it first. This tutorial should be helpful: https://www.hunker.com/13401302/how-to-lay-tile-over-epoxy-floor