Stepping Stones

$30

I did make leaves with concrete for my frontyard as stepping stones... But I also wanted steppingstones for the backyard, and I was tired of leaves. One night at around 3.30h I woke up ...and I knew what I would do

First steps for my steps

Got me all kind of plastic buckets and bowls and glued tea lights, the little ones with the aluminum foil covers, with the waxy side down into my buckets. Then I brushed a little oil over the tealights and inside the buckets. Filled it with cement about a finger high over the tealights, because I did not want to have the holes go all the way through and have the grass grow through them. In the small bowls I used bottle caps. Did not work good, because they get so stuck, the end pieces break. I did let the cement dry for a few days in the buckets

those are my leaves

for the front yard

Back to the molds with bucket and bowls

Those are the first ones I took out --- buttons.It worked so good with those tealights, because when they get stuck in the cement, all you need to do is scratch out the wax and you can peel the aluminum foil out easily

And that what it looks like now -

- to the delight of my grandchild who hops from one to the other. 

I painted them with paint from the builders market. I do not really know the word for them. It is colours that you can use to mix into a bucket of white paint to get the colour you want to paint your house with. So far they have kept the colours through rain and sun.

3 Gorgeous Ideas to Use Photo Frames - and Not for Pictures!
3 Brilliant Ideas How to Use Photo Frames
31 Gorgeous Homemade Candle Ideas You're Going to Want to Try
21 Ways To Use Those Pickle Jars You've Been Saving
30 Jaw-Dropping Decorating Techniques You've Never Seen Before
18 Wintery Wreath Ideas That You'll Want To Make For Your Home
3 Easy Ways to Make The Cutest Coasters for Your House
31 Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
Instantly Upgrade Your Living Space With These Amazing DIY Ideas
3 Great Ideas To Easily Upgrade Your Window
These Bathroom Makeovers Might Inspire You To Update Your Own

• Slberntson

I’d love to learn the leaf stepping stone.

• Jackson

Hello, I used real leafes, rhubarb and some from the woods. I layed some plastic lining on a tiled floor, spread it out so it is nice and flat and placed the leafes face down on it. Then I brusehd a little cooking oil on the leafes, heaped the cement on it and spread it out as evenly as I could to just about half an inch to the rim of the natural leaf.

Let try throughly. Then flip them over, peel off the leaf, sometimes the rips get stuck a lttle, but it is usually no big deal to get them out. Let dry completely and paint. I used the same paints that I used for the buttons. First I painted them completely brown also inside the grooves, then I brushed on green, light green, green mixed with brown, green mixed with blue, orange and yellow, without getting that inside the grooves. And I kept brushing until I liked the result.

• Barbara Glover Loretz

Love both ideas. But the buckets ones instructions are not clear to me. Could u tell them better?

• Erica pierre

How do you get the cement out of the buckets once it dries?

• Mandy

Woww i think this looks great. I like the leaves. How did u do those please!! Amazing!!

• Jackson

Hello Mandy, I used real leafes, rhubarb and some from the woods. I layed some plastic lining on a tiled floor, spread it out so it is nice and flat and placed the leafes face down on it. Then I brusehd a little cooking oil on the leafes, heaped the cement on it and spread it out as evenly as I could to just about half an inch to the rim of the natural leaf. Don´t make them too thin, so somebody can step on them. Mine are holding up to every person since two years.

• Michelle

When doing the leaves it helps to have a bunch of wet sand in a mound underneath a plastic sheet you put the leaf over that then do the cement/concrete It keeps the leaf in its shape

• Jackson

@ Michelle, it helps if you want to make a bowl. If you want flat stones, like I made as stepping stones for my yard, they should lay flat on the ground.