How to clean a showerhead?

+5

I have an old showerhead that will NOT, no matter what, come off. It is in dire need of being cleaned, sanitized and so forth. I know I can fill a jar with something and submerge it in this, but a) what would you recommend I use, bleach? vinegar? and b) since I'll be holding it, how long do you think it would take? Please no links to you tube videos etc. ... I'm a senior and would just appreciate some hands on advice!!!!

• Recreated Designs Recreated Designs on Sep 22, 2020

Hi! I like to use CLR on my shower head. I just pour some in a bowl (or butter container) and then hold it up to the shower head. The CLR will take off all of the build up and soap scum and clean it beautifully. I usually thrown on a pair of plastic gloves when I am doing it just for protection but you don't have to. Hope this helps!

• See 1 previous

The plastic bag method sounds great! I will have to try that too. That way you don't have to stand there holding a bowl and can zip it around the spout. Great idea!

• Redcatcec Redcatcec on Sep 22, 2020

Just plain white vinegar in a plastic bag, rubberband it around the shower head with the head immersed in the vinegar, let soak for at least an hour. You can also use an old toothbrush dipped in vinegar to remove and crustiness. Rinse with water and dry off with a microfiber cloth.

• Kathy Gunter Law Kathy Gunter Law on Sep 22, 2020

I would use white cleaning vinegar and some type of plastic bag. I zip tie mine (I have some reusable velcro ones) around it to hold in place but you could use a rubber band or twist tie. Fill the bag enough to submerge the head and slide over, then secure above it. Walk away and leave it. The longer you do, the better it will work. If it is terrible, you might have to do in twice to get it all.

If you can't manage this method, try a child's sand bucket and hang it around it to soak. I saw some at the dollar tree. If you use a bigger bucket, make sure you don't fill it too full or it will be too heavy to stay up there.

When you remove it, rinse it off with clean water. You might have to use a scrub brush to get gunk out of crevices. I use my finger to wiggle each little rubber tip to make sure all the build up breaks free.

If you want it to shine, wipe down with rubbing alcohol.

• 1cs1267 1cs1267 on Sep 22, 2020

Thanks! I just did this! Hope it works ... if not, then I may try the CLR in the plastic bag. I always keep a toothbrush just for this chore, but it doesn't do as thorough a job for cleaning as I'd like.

• Peggy L Burnette Peggy L Burnette on Sep 22, 2020

Hi, fill a jar or bag with white vinegar and soak the shower head. Hope this works.

• Try using a hair dryer on the joint for a few minutes, that might do the trick of loosening it.