Asked on Sep 22, 2020

How long will it take for spray paint not to feel tacky ?

Cheryl AAdrienne Carrie Hubbard | Crafty Little GnomeKim  |Exquisitely Unremarkable
+11

I spray painted an old rocker 2 months ago and let it dry for 2 or 3 days in between coats. It still feels tacky and I feel like I stick to it whenever I sit in it. I don't like this feeling. What can I do?

• Peggy Burnette

Hi Leslie, so sorry your paint feels tacky. I hope this will help you.

How to Dry Paint When It Is Still Tacky | Home Guides | SF Gate

homeguides.sfgate.com › ... › Home Painting

Sprinkle a light dusting of talcum powder over the tacky areas of paint. This method works well for dresser and bookshelf surfaces where decorative items will come in contact with the painted area. ... Rub the talcum powder into the paint lightly with your hand until the paint is no longer tacky.

• Leslie Packwood

Thank you Peggy. I will try this.

• Maura White

It could be that if you used exterior based paint - it could be oil based and that is why it is sticky. Maybe a coat of non-oil based paint can help you out!

• GrandmasHouseDIY

Hi Leslie a clear coat would take care of that. Polyacrylic is my furniture choice, it dries in just a couple of hours and won't yellow over time.

• Ken Erickson

If the rocker is a plastic or resin, then you should have used a spray paint formulated for plastic. I tried to use regular spray paint on some rubber safety cones and the paint didn't dry for a week.

• Unique Creations By Anita

The spray paint could be old or the surface was not prepared properly. After this amount of time it should be dry.

• Cynthia H

Hi! The fixes mentioned may or may not work. If they don't, I would strip it and start over. I think it might come off fairly easily. Prep is the key to any successful paint job. That, and using the right paint. Good luck and stay safe!

Hi Leslie: One tip to dry tacky paint quickly is to use auto wax. To apply the auto wax use a clean cloth or rag and rub a layer over the tacky surface. Do this in a circular motion until you see that the wax is even and clear.

Then, wait 10 to 15 minutes to let the wax dry. Next, use a buffing cloth to remove the wax. Now, your surface is not tacky anymore! You will have to repeat this process if you notice any tackiness again. Good luck

• Leslie Packwood

Thank you everyone! Good suggestions!

• Kerri

Cover it with talcum baby powder.. I like the lavender baby powder lol and rub it in very well. Let it sit for at least one day. Then wipe it off and polish. You may have to do this a couple times to get all the tackiness out

• Leslie Packwood

Thanks Kerri!

• That's a tough one. I paint all kinds of surfaces all the time with spray paint and never had that problem. I would suggest you ask the pros at a paint store what you best course of action would be. I would hate to see you strip the paint and start all over if a quick coat of sealer will do the trick. Good luck!

• As this point it's probably not going to ever set. some materials and spray paint don't mix properly.

• Cheryl A

Leslie

Here is info on why this may have happened and it did not dry. Did you clean the rocker before painting and let it dry first?

https://homeguides.sfgate.com/dry-paint-still-tacky-80720.html