Asked on Sep 22, 2020

How to repair hole in wood?

Agnes ChrzanowskaLauren of Mom Home GuideJohnavallance82
+11

How do I repair a drilled 1" hole in the 1/2 wooden board installed above my bay window. Currently have shoved a cork in the hole. would wood filler smooth it out and stay when painted over? Any other ideas??

• I would cut a piece of a 1" wooden dowel to fill it. Use some wood glue to hold it in place. Then you can sand and paint.

• Redcatcec

You can leave the cork there and sand it smooth, it might be difficult to sand it evenly because cork is compressed and has tiny air pockets. Ann's suggestion to get a dowel and glue it in would work very well.

• Unique Creations By Anita

Yes that will lok fine. I usually used small wood dowels to fill the holes depending on the size of the hole. Then fill the gaps with wood filler and paint.

• Cynthia H

Hi! I would definitely glue in a small piece of wood and then fill in any gaps with wood filler. If you are going to paint, just use wood filler that is paintable. If stained, I mix a small amount of matching stain in the wood filler to match. You also can buy wood filler to match. Good and stay safe!

Hi Betty: You can use wood filler. Home Depot sells it for about $5. You can paint or stain it. In order to keep the filler from falling into the wall cavity, get some Popsicle sticks that are longer than the hole is wide, put a hole in the centre of the Popsicle stick, get a string about 8" long and make a knot in one end and stick it through the hole. Have the string sticking towards you and the knot in the back. Then, put glue on each end of the stick and put it into the hole and let it stick to the inside of the hole by pulling the string tight so it snugs up against the inside of the wall. Do this with a few sticks until you have most of the hole covered on the inside. Then, maybe the next day when it's all dry and snug to the inside of the wall, you can put your wall filler on. Use a couple of thin coats, it will dry faster. Let each coat dry for a few hours, or put your hair dryer on it if you just can't wait:) Then, sand gently and paint. You're good to go. Good luck

• Kathy Gunter Law

You can use wood putty but you will probably have to apply it in a few coats if the hole is deep. No issues with paint but it won't take stain.

• Vimarhonor

Hello one of the easiest things to use is wood filler or possibly caulk. I feel that wood filler gives the best finish that can be sanded stained or repainted.

• K. Rupp

wood filler, Bondo, plug with a tiny dowel. Sand smooth, prime and paint the same color as the board above the bay window.

• Cheryl A

Bondo has a wood filler you can find at any hardware store - it is awesome to fill in holes, etc. we had rot on our window sill in one area and this did the trick- easy to use and then you sand and paint https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7efjyTgsA0

• Sharon

I would go with a 1" diam. circle of wood, either from the end of a wood dowel cut to the depth of the wood you are filling; or another approach would be to use a 1" drill bit to cut a piece of wood from some scrap the same depth as the surrounding area to be filled. I would then glue in place using carpenters' glue, use some spackle then to fill in the seam, sand, add a dab of primer if painting and then paint the matching color. If repairing a stained wood, use a wood filler that is stainable to hide the seam around the circle or buy one of those tiny bottles of wood filler to make the type of wood your filling.

• Dee

Bondo or wood filler. Over fill then sand down even with your bay window

May take a few times to fill if it is a big hole. Just let it dry completely between applicaions

• Johnavallance82

Hi Betty,

Cut a piece of Timber Dowel and secure with wood glue. when thoroughly dry. Sand down to match existing, Prime, and Undercoat and then top coat.

• Lauren of Mom Home Guide

I agree that wood filler would work. Just make sure you sand it smooth so it looks nice.

• Agnes Chrzanowska

woody filler ? You just need to do that in several layers