Make Your Own Bird Bath

$25

The summer is hotter than it has been for a long time and not only we gardeners long for a cooling off. Birds and insects are also grateful for a few fresh drinks. Therefore I made this bird bath out of a saucer and mosaic stones. There is not only drinking, but also extensive bathing – a wonderful spectacle! I’ll show you how you can make a bird bath yourself!

Material for the bird bath
  • A gray saucer
  • Mosaic stones of your choice
  • Mirror mosaic stones
  • Hand brush
  • Rag
  • Mosaic glue
  • Pastry brush
  • Grout
Step 1

First, think about the pattern in which you want to attach the mosaic stones. To do this, put the stones on trial until you are sure which pattern it should be. Then apply the mosaic adhesive over the entire surface and press the stones into it.

My tip: It is better to apply the adhesive over the entire surface instead of moistening each stone individually.

Step 2

Once all the mosaic stones are in place, you have to wait until the glue has dried and no more stones can slip. It’ll take a couple of hours. Then stir the grout and use a baking brush to spread it over the entire surface of the saucer. The mosaic stones are also covered.

Step 3

After the grout has dried, use a damp cloth to expose the mosaic stones again. The hand brush can also help here if necessary. But work with it carefully.

Before the bird bath can be filled with water, the bowl has to dry for about 2 days.

As a special eye-catcher, I added small play mosaic stones to the edge of the bird bath. They sparkle so beautifully in the sunlight.

When setting up the bird bath, it is important to choose a protected location so that the birds feel safe and the cat does not lurk in front of the bird bath. A few twigs or branches also help to land better and to get on and off safely 🙂

• Gray saucer
  • Mosaic stones
  • Hand brush

25 Beautiful Things You Can Make With Rope & Twine
Check Out These 15 Beautiful Flower Ideas For Spring
Copy One Of These Lovely Lattice Ideas For Your Home
15 Perfectly Round Tables
15 Clever Repurposing Ideas That Will Add Some Creativity to Your Home
20 Ways To Make Your Own Personalized Clock
Joy

• Glenda Camp
    Glenda Camp

What is a coaster and where do I get one

• Joy
      Joy

I'm sorry, a better word would be saucer. Basically you can use any base as long as it's deep and wide enough.

• Marsha
    Marsha

Do you just set it on the ground then when you are finished?

• Candace
    Candace

I have never seen a coaster that cwasn’t flat. And this one looks like plastic of some sort- is that correct? Again- a coaster type I have never seen. Is this coaster associated with some industry?

Could one use an old ceramic pie plate? j

Could you suggest something else i could use that I might find near home?

I would love to make to as holiday hifts, but am stumped by the base.

Thanks !

candace Tyler

• Joy
      Joy

• Michelle
    Michelle

This is so pretty!!

• Brenda Gimbel
    Brenda Gimbel

I also dont know what sort of "coaster" you used for this? Id love to try this just dont know what base to use? Thanks!

Brenda

• Joy
      Joy