Sofa Table Update

$20

Hey my friends! I love when friends ask if you want furniture they can no longer use in their homes. Of course, when I was offered this Thomasville sofa table I said YES!

Cleaning

The first step when painting a piece of furniture is always cleaning. Even when a piece is coming from a clean home and has been taken care of you have to take the time to do this. I pulled out the drawers and removed the pulls before I got to cleaning. I used Simple Green, a Scotch Brite sponge, and a bucket of clean water to give this table a quick cleaning. I wiped it off with clean paper towels and made sure it was completely dry before going any further.

Repairs

This table didn’t need much repairing. There were a few dents on the top and legs. These weren’t deep but would be noticeable when painted. I filled them in with wood putty and sanded them smooth after they dried.

More Prep Work

I taped the drawer pulls holes from the inside with painters tape. This insures no paint runs through and drips inside. I also taped the edges around the drawer faces to protect them from getting paint on them.

Priming

Since the surface of the table was shiny, I wanted to make sure the paint would adhere. I didn’t want to use white primer since I had plans to use a dark paint. I decided to try Country Chic Clear Primer which I applied with a foam paintbrush. It went on very smooth. You have to wait 12 hours before painting to make sure the primer is fully dry. I’m an impatient person so that was hard but it was well worth it.

Painting

It was time to paint! I applied 2 coats of Fusion Mineral Paint in the color Homestead Blue on the base of the table and 3 coats on the top. I love that this paint has a built in sealer.

Applying Shine

To add color depth and shine, I applied a coat of Daddy Van’s Furniture Wax in Lavender scent. I used a lint free cloth, waited 15 minutes, and then buffed it with a microfiber cloth.

Look at that shine! To give the drawer pulls a brightening, I spray painted them with Rust-Oleum spray paint in the color Pure Gold.

What a beauty! The color really has given this table a glamorous new look.

Turn Dollar Store Laundry Basket Into Wreath Form In 8 Easy Steps
Step-by-Step Painting Techniques You'll Want to Try!
15 Fun Things You Can Make Using Your Cricut
20 Ways To Make Your Own Personalized Clock