Faux Rusted Horse Head

$15

Create Faux Rust

Bored with your décor? Looking to repurpose some of your yard sale finds? Coastal Candy & Shabby Paints can help with that. Create faux rust with texture you can feel.I’ve had this white shiny horse head for about 8 years, while I love it, it just doesn’t fit my home’s style anymore. So, one day I was scrolling through an online auction site and see an antique cast iron horse head, and inspiration hit! I love rust so I was all in on recreating my version of the $4,800.00 treasure.

Please remember that your décor should spark joy in you. Don’t worry about what someone else might like..If it doesn’t look right, walk away come back with fresh eyes. Layering a mossy green or turquoise blue would look amazing as well.I have another horse that I’m dreaming something up for right now. Stay tuned!If you are gonna paint, Paint with Passion!Shabby Paints & Coastal Candy

After

Clean

1st  I cleaned the horse with vinegar and water then rinsed.

Mix paint & Coastal Candy

2nd I mixed 8 oz. of Licorice (black) Chalk-Acrylic paint with ½ cup of Coastal Candy.

Paint

3rd I painted the mixture on using random strokes to create texture. You don’t want it to be perfect, you want it to be the opposite, so let go of that perfection and go wild.

2nd Coat of paint if needed

4th Once dry I applied the 2nd coat making sure I got into all the details.

Mix a rust or your choice of patina color

5th Make some RUST! Now the fun I mixed Betsy Ross Red, Buffalo Brown, and Licorice to make a rusty brown. This would have worked with Pumpkin Spice mixed with Licorice too. No exact science here, create what looks good to you.

Apply Rust

6th I applied using my fingers in random areas. Then wiped away using a wet rag. If it gets to heavy mist with a water bottle. Repeat until you get the desired effect.

After

Please remember that your décor should spark joy in you. Don’t worry about what someone else might like..If it doesn’t look right, walk away come back with fresh eyes.  Layering a mossy green or turquoise blue would look amazing as well.

I have another horse that I’m dreaming something up for right now. Stay tuned!

If you are gonna paint, Paint with Passion!

Shabby Paints & Coastal Candy

21 Stunning Wreaths for The 4th of July
15 Fun Things You Can Make Using Your Cricut
15 Totally Doable Makeover Ideas You Can Finish In One Day
23 Valentine's Day DIY Ideas That You Don't Want To Miss
Check Out These 30 Incredible Floor Transformations Ideas